Intel® Software Guard Extensions (Intel® SGX)
Discussion board focused on hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide extended code protection in solutions.

Error SGX_ERROR_NO_DEVICE

David_S_23
Beginner

Hi SGX Experts,

I am trying to run some examples using SGX but I only get this 0x2006 error: SGX_ERROR_NO_DEVICE when trying to create an enclave. I have tried this on a Lenovo Thinkstation desktop, for which the SGX is enabled in its BIOS. Looking at the error description, this is related with a drivers problem.

Although I correctly installed the SGX drivers. According to the installation guide for the SGX driver, it is necessary to also install the Intel Management Engine components V 11.5.0... or higher. I have realized that the installed version in my machine for this SW is lower, 11.0.4... However I cannot find a latest version. Actually, looking for it  I can only find version depending on the hw, i.g., Intel NUC. From where can I get a SGX compatible version of the Intel ME components?

I am running the examples on a Windows 10 machine.

Thanks,

David.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Surenthar_S_Intel

Hi,

1. Install the latest version of PSW and SDK from https://software.intel.com/en-us/sgx-sdk/download
    Latest Version of PSW : Intel SGX PSW for Windows v1.6.101.33229.exe 
    Latest Version of SDK : Intel SGX SDK for Windows v1.6.102.34899.exe

2. Microsoft Visual Studio* 2013 Professional Edition is required as IDE.

3. Install the latest Intel Management Engine from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25881
    Version of Intel Management Engine : 11.0.2.1002 

-Surenthar

0 Kudos
David_S_23
Beginner

Hi Surenthar,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I had already installed the latest version for PSW and I have updated the SDK to the one you indicate in your message (although I don't think this should really be the reason of my problem).

I have also uninstalled my previous version of the ME components, to the one you indicate in your message. It seems I had a version of this software for a different architecture. I was hopping this could solve my problem, but after installing version 11.0.2.1002 I am still having the same problem and I receive 0x2006 error: SGX_ERROR_NO_DEVICE ​when trying to create an enclave. I found confusing that the PSW release notes is actually asking for ME components version 11.5.0.1000, but it seems the latest version for intel cpus is 11.0.2.1002 (although it actually installs version 11.0.4.1186...).

If I run the SGXPlatformCapabilityTool I receive a message that says that Intel(R) SGX is not yet enabled, but will be enabled by any Intel(R) SGX application, I don't know if this can provide some information. FYI, SGX is enabled in the BIOS.

Thanks,

David.

0 Kudos
Surenthar_S_Intel

Could you please download the Detecting the Intel SGX supporting on CPU Application from https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/properly-detecting-intel-software-guard-extensions-in-your-applications

-Surenthar

0 Kudos
David_S_23
Beginner

Dear Surenthar,

It works now :-) . Thanks a lot for your help!

I downloaded the Intel SGX detection procedures package and, after compiling and executing the application check the tutorials worked properly after restarting the computer. Both the installer and the application checker uses an older SGX SDK and they do not compile properly until remove some checks making reference to some deprecated values.

I didn't know it was necessary to opt-in SGX enabling it from an application first! I was following the tutorial from https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/introducing-the-intel-software-guard-extensions-tutorial-series​ and I didn't see this point mentioned anywhere.

In anyways, thanks again for your help.

Best Regards,

David.

0 Kudos
tianyu_l_
Beginner

hello David,

I am glad to communicate with you.

I hope that you can tell me which motherboard  you use to support SGX in your computer, and I also hope to get touch with you.

so could you tell me what is your facebook number or weixin number.

sincerely,

Tianyu Li

0 Kudos
David_S_23
Beginner

Hi Tianyu Li,

I am using a Lenovo ThinkStation-P310. Not sure if it is possible to get the motherboard it implements separately. Maybe you can check it out with Lenovo.

I am not very familiar with SGX so far. But I will be very happy to try to help you out with any question you ask in the Intel forum for SGX.

Best Regards,

David.

0 Kudos
tianyu_l_
Beginner

hello David,

I am glad to receive your reply.

Now, I need to get a new computer(deskTop or server) for researching SGX. However, I haven't found a computer device to support SGX in China yet. Can you give me some suggestions for this problem? such as a complete computer or combination between CPU and main board.

it is urgent for me to get the computer.

Best Regards,

tianyu Li.

0 Kudos
tianyu_l_
Beginner

hello David,
thank for your advices.

Best Regards,
Tianyu Li.

0 Kudos
tianyu_l_
Beginner

hello David,

I am glad to communicate with you again.

As mentioned in your previous post, you are using a Lenovo ThinkStation-P310. I have contacted the technisist in Lenovo, and he tell me that the desktop or higher(ThinkStation-P410 and the like) doesn't support the SGX. But he is not sure if the desktop supports SGX  when its board  takes BIOS update. So, I hope you can give me some information about bios update and driver update in Thinkstation-P310.

best regards,

Tianyu Li

0 Kudos
David_S_23
Beginner

Hi Tianyu Li,

The only information I have about the BIOS is that the BIOS Revision Level is FWKT5DA. For drivers I am using standard drivers.

Best,

David.

0 Kudos