Intel® Software Guard Extensions (Intel® SGX)
Discussion board focused on hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide extended code protection in solutions.

Running Remote Attestation Sample code Failed

Shredha_K_
Novice

Hi,

When I tried executing the linux  remote attestation sample code, I got the following error. 

Call sgx_create_enclave success.
Call enclave_init_ra success.
Error, call sgx_ra_get_msg1 fail [main].
Call enclave_ra_close success.

I used sgx-gdb and found that sgx_init_quote  (invoked by sgx_ra_get_msg1) is returning SGX_ERROR_UNEXPECTED.

I can successfully execute all other sample codes.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-software-guard-extensions-intel-sgx/topic/639242 says that the remote code should run in a non proxy environment. There is no network proxy  in my case.

How can I solve this? 

Also, the Linux SGX SDK installation guide says "you may need to setup an http proxy server for the AESM service ". In what all cases this proxy server is required.   

Thanks in advance :)     

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Shivananda_H_Intel

Even i received the same error with Remote Attestation sample on Linux. But the issue was Network proxy. I selected no-proxy option and was able to run the Remote attestation sample.  I am using SGXSDK 1.8. 

0 Kudos
Shredha_K_
Novice

Hai Shivananda Hebbar,

Thank you for the comment.

I tried setting the aesmd.conf file for no-proxy (direct) option  and the system default proxy (default) option. Still I am getting the same error for both cases. The machine is Ubuntu 14.04 and has the SGXPSW version 1.7 .

0 Kudos
Shivananda_H_Intel

Hi ,

I tried the same steps as mentioned but able to run the remote attestation sample without any issues. Unfortunately do not have Ubuntu 14.04 as i have already upgraded to  Ubuntu 16.04 and SGXPSW 1.8.

Alternatively, can you try the following on ubuntu 14.04/SDKPSW 1.7?
1. undo modification done to aesmd.conf
2. Reboot
3. Set 'no proxy' or automatically detect  option in preferences.(one afer another)
4. Connect to any wifi hotspot /Mobile hotspot
5. Run application.

0 Kudos
Shredha_K_
Novice

Hai Shivananda Hebbar.

Thank you for your comment.

The problem is still not resolved. When I checked in the aesm log file  /var/opt/aesmd/data/internal_log.txt , this was the error:

Backend server reported error in ProvMsg2 passed MAC verification:(ae_error_t:PVE_PROV_ATTEST_KEY_NOT_FOUND:203)

Did you also got something similiar in the beginning.  

0 Kudos
Shivananda_H_Intel

Hi,

I never got the above error. VE_PROV_ATTEST_KEY_NOT_FOUND indicates AESM_UNRECOGNIZED_PLATFORM.

Suspect some thing wrong with your setup.

Can you do the below check/steps?. You might have already done these checks but good to double confirm,

SGX support in BIOS ? Is it enabled ?

SGX Available output . (SGX Supported =1 Available =1) .Sample test  https://github.com/ayeks/SGX-hardware

Uninstall and reinstall SGX Driver, PSW and SDK.

Also check the status of aesmd service after installaton : sudo service aesmd status

-Shivananda

0 Kudos
Shredha_K_
Novice

Hi,

I am still unable to resolve the above error. For me, sgx_ra_get_msg1() invokes sgx_init_quote() and returns SGX_ERROR_UNRECOGNIZED_PLATFORM. Can somebody give me some pointers to solve this.

Thanks in advance