Intel® Software Guard Extensions (Intel® SGX)
Discussion board focused on hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide extended code protection in solutions.

Why do I have to use the binutils from intel?

shmoo
Novice

the Intel_SGX_Installation_Guide_Linux_2.13.3 says:

On Ubuntu* 18.04, Ubuntu* 20.04, Red Hat* Enterprise Linux 8.2, CentOS* 8.2, and Fedora* 31, download the mitigation tools that are named as.ld.objdump.gold.r2.tar.gz from here, unzip them and copy the tools from the directory that corresponds to current OS distribution to the directory of /usr/local/bin. Make sure that these tools have execute permission.

See NVD - CVE-2020-0551 (nist.gov) and Load Value Injection (intel.com) for information related to these mitigation tools.

Why do I have to copy these binaries into my local users binary directory?

Is there an other option?

Are the up to date binutils already mitigated?

Which versions of these tools are these?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JesusG_Intel

Hello Shmoo,

The subset of binutils Intel provides is version 2.35. They are no different than the GNU-provided 2.35 version (2.36 is the latest version). Intel provides binutils 2.35 because many of the Linux distro's repos have not updated to either 2.35 or 2.36. Intel will continue to provide the bunutils 2.35 subset until the repos of a critical mass of distros have Binutils 2.35 or later.

Sincerely,

Jesus G.

Intel Customer Support

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JesusG_Intel

Hello Shmoo,

The subset of binutils Intel provides is version 2.35. They are no different than the GNU-provided 2.35 version (2.36 is the latest version). Intel provides binutils 2.35 because many of the Linux distro's repos have not updated to either 2.35 or 2.36. Intel will continue to provide the bunutils 2.35 subset until the repos of a critical mass of distros have Binutils 2.35 or later.

Sincerely,

Jesus G.

Intel Customer Support

shmoo
Novice

Thanks for the detailed and helpful answer!

0 Kudos
JesusG_Intel

This thread has been marked as answered and Intel will no longer monitor this thread. If you want a response from Intel in a follow-up question, please open a new thread.

0 Kudos