Intel® Software Guard Extensions (Intel® SGX)
Discussion board focused on hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide extended code protection in solutions.

/dev/mei0 does not exists

Eliad_T_
Beginner

Hi,
I'm working remotely on an Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS server with CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) E3-1270 v6.
Until now I haven't used the trusted platform service and everything worked properly.
Now I want to start using the trusted platform service (for sgx_get_trusted_time), so I read the Intel SGX installation guide and under the Prerequisites part there is the sentence: "Ensure mei_me driver is enabled and /dev/mei0 exists". For some reason, in this server there is no mei_me driver and no /dev/mei0 and therefore I cannot use the trusted platform service. 
What could be the reason for that? Is this something that should be enabled in the BIOS or I just need to install it from somewhere?

Thanks,
Eliad.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Hoang_N_Intel
Employee

Please take a look at this whitepaper for Trusted Time and Monotonic Counter at https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/managed/1b/a2/Intel-SGX-Platform-Services.pdf

It requires Intel CSME support which is currently not available under Intel Xeon E3 processors

0 Kudos
Eliad_T_
Beginner

Thanks

0 Kudos