Intel® MPI Library
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.
2166 Discussions

Unable to launch MPI on Windows 2012

Sashi_B_
Beginner

I have been using Intel MPI library on a Windows 2008 R1 server for few years without any issues. However, we recently switched to Windows Server 2012 R2, and now I can't launch MPI due to following error, when I use the command line -

mpiexec -n 1 -localroot  ./eDR_IMC.exe

" Error while connecting to host, No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it. (10061)
Connect on sock (host=eDR-IMC2, port=8676) failed, exhaused all end points
Unable to connect to 'eDR-IMC2:8676',
sock error: Error = -1"

I did ensure all windows firewall settings were disabled.

Please help resolve this issue.

Thanks,

SashiBala

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Artem_R_Intel1
Employee

Hello Sashi,
Which version of Intel MPI Library do you use?

0 Kudos
Sashi_B_
Beginner

Hi :

Thanks for the prompt response.  It’s Intel MPI for Windows 3.2.2, build date 08/27/2009.

Questions:

1. Can I still use this version with the new Windows Server 2012 R2 ?

2. If not, can I just download the latest Intel MPI Runtime library and use it directly with my existing application, OR do I need to get the new MPI package and have to recompile my application with the new MPI library ?

Looking forward to your response.

Sashi

0 Kudos
Artem_R_Intel1
Employee

Hi Sashi,
Regarding to Intel MPI Library for Windows 3.2.2, please see the appropriate Release Notes for details about supported operating systems. As far as I see Windows* Server 2012 R2 isn't supported by Intel MPI Library 3.2.2.
You can try to use your application with latest Intel MPI Library Runtime Environment - generally it's backward compatible with 3.2.2 version. There may be some incompatibility related issues - refer to the Intel MPI Library Release Notes for details (for example, buffer aliasing issue). You can try to use I_MPI_COMPATIBILITY=3 if you met any problems (refer to the Intel MPI Library Reference Manual for additional information).

0 Kudos
Sashi_B_
Beginner

Thanks Ardem. I tried to download the free runtime library from the Intel MPI main website, but it keeps throwing error. Is there an alternate location to download from ?

Sashi

0 Kudos
Artem_R_Intel1
Employee

Hi Sashi,
What kind of errors do you have?
There's a link 'Runtime for Windows*' on the official Intel MPI Library web-page: https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-mpi-library

0 Kudos
Sashi_B_
Beginner

When I tried again later in the day, I was able to download the runtime package.

After the new 5.1 library install, my original problem was resolved...Thanks.

Btw, earlier I was using the option -pwdfile to pass in the name of a file that had the credential of the MPI to launch programs, and I now see that option is not valid in 5.1 version....do you know what's the new command line option to pass in the credentials ...either thru file or command line arguments ?

Sashi

0 Kudos
Artem_R_Intel1
Employee

Hi Sashi,

You can use 'mpiexec -register' to save credentials in the registry.
I'd recommend to learn Getting Started with Intel® MPI Library for Windows* OS - it provides some brief information about the new Intel MPI Library usage.
Pay attention that there's a new process manager Hydra instead of the old one (SMPD is deprecated). mpiexec utility is now used by Hydra.

Just in case:
Hydra: mpiexec + hydra_service (service)
SMPD: mpiexec.smpd + smpd (service)

0 Kudos
Sashi_B_
Beginner

Got it. Thanks again Artem for the valuable info on the new process manager.

Sashi

0 Kudos