Intel® oneAPI HPC Toolkit
Get help with building, analyzing, optimizing, and scaling high-performance computing (HPC) applications.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
1829 Discussions

Unable to launch MPI on Windows 2012

Sashi_B_
Beginner

I have been using Intel MPI library on a Windows 2008 R1 server for few years without any issues. However, we recently switched to Windows Server 2012 R2, and now I can't launch MPI due to following error, when I use the command line -

mpiexec -n 1 -localroot  ./eDR_IMC.exe

" Error while connecting to host, No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it. (10061)
Connect on sock (host=eDR-IMC2, port=8676) failed, exhaused all end points
Unable to connect to 'eDR-IMC2:8676',
sock error: Error = -1"

I did ensure all windows firewall settings were disabled.

Please help resolve this issue.

Thanks,

SashiBala

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Artem_R_Intel1
Employee

Hello Sashi,
Which version of Intel MPI Library do you use?

Sashi_B_
Beginner

Hi :

Thanks for the prompt response.  It’s Intel MPI for Windows 3.2.2, build date 08/27/2009.

Questions:

1. Can I still use this version with the new Windows Server 2012 R2 ?

2. If not, can I just download the latest Intel MPI Runtime library and use it directly with my existing application, OR do I need to get the new MPI package and have to recompile my application with the new MPI library ?

Looking forward to your response.

Sashi

Artem_R_Intel1
Employee

Hi Sashi,
Regarding to Intel MPI Library for Windows 3.2.2, please see the appropriate Release Notes for details about supported operating systems. As far as I see Windows* Server 2012 R2 isn't supported by Intel MPI Library 3.2.2.
You can try to use your application with latest Intel MPI Library Runtime Environment - generally it's backward compatible with 3.2.2 version. There may be some incompatibility related issues - refer to the Intel MPI Library Release Notes for details (for example, buffer aliasing issue). You can try to use I_MPI_COMPATIBILITY=3 if you met any problems (refer to the Intel MPI Library Reference Manual for additional information).

Sashi_B_
Beginner

Thanks Ardem. I tried to download the free runtime library from the Intel MPI main website, but it keeps throwing error. Is there an alternate location to download from ?

Sashi

Artem_R_Intel1
Employee

Hi Sashi,
What kind of errors do you have?
There's a link 'Runtime for Windows*' on the official Intel MPI Library web-page: https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-mpi-library

Sashi_B_
Beginner

When I tried again later in the day, I was able to download the runtime package.

After the new 5.1 library install, my original problem was resolved...Thanks.

Btw, earlier I was using the option -pwdfile to pass in the name of a file that had the credential of the MPI to launch programs, and I now see that option is not valid in 5.1 version....do you know what's the new command line option to pass in the credentials ...either thru file or command line arguments ?

Sashi

Artem_R_Intel1
Employee

Hi Sashi,

You can use 'mpiexec -register' to save credentials in the registry.
I'd recommend to learn Getting Started with Intel® MPI Library for Windows* OS - it provides some brief information about the new Intel MPI Library usage.
Pay attention that there's a new process manager Hydra instead of the old one (SMPD is deprecated). mpiexec utility is now used by Hydra.

Just in case:
Hydra: mpiexec + hydra_service (service)
SMPD: mpiexec.smpd + smpd (service)

Sashi_B_
Beginner

Got it. Thanks again Artem for the valuable info on the new process manager.

Sashi