Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KIM__ILTAEK
Beginner

2D Convolution methode

Jump to solution

Hi, 

Matlab supports three methods when using conv2. As you can see from the reference site below, Full, Same, and Valid methods are supported.

https://johnloomis.org/ece563/notes/filter/conv/convolution.html

Is it possible to add an option like this using vsldConvExec? Or if there is any other way, please advise.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Gennady_F_Intel

here is what I see on my part.

Math kernel Lib Runtime : 1.859sec
Naive Algorithm Runtime : 1.157sec
Press any key to continue . . .

Yes, the naive implementation is faster then what mkl suggested. You may submit the request to the intel online service center or as I already suggested you - check the IPP library. The Conv/Corr functionality from IPP is very much optimized.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Gennady_F_Intel

I see two options: #1. You could try to submit the Feature Request against Intel MKL to add these options and #2 - Try to take Intel IPP which already supported all of the modes you are looking for. Please refer to the IPP Developer Reference follow this link:https://software.intel.com/en-us/ipp-dev-reference-conv

KIM__ILTAEK
Beginner

Thank for your reply. 

First, we implemented convolution by full method and crop by input size.

However, it is slower than the navie algorithm. I am developing on windows 10 with i7-5960X.

Below is my test code result. Please advise if I have something wrong. Code is attached. Please review.

Math kernel lib runtime : 1.282sec

Naive Algorithm runtime : 0.234sec

Gennady_F_Intel

At first glance, everything is correct with the mkl part but I didn't try to build the case. Is it requires to build from VS as I see the test included only stdafx.h? 

KIM__ILTAEK
Beginner

The project file was compressed and uploaded. The development environment is using visual studio 2015.
Please review together. 

Gennady_F_Intel

here is what I see on my part.

Math kernel Lib Runtime : 1.859sec
Naive Algorithm Runtime : 1.157sec
Press any key to continue . . .

Yes, the naive implementation is faster then what mkl suggested. You may submit the request to the intel online service center or as I already suggested you - check the IPP library. The Conv/Corr functionality from IPP is very much optimized.

View solution in original post

KIM__ILTAEK
Beginner

Thank you for your confirm. 

I will check it again using IPP.