Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.

Are type sizes consistent cross platform ??

newton_particle
Beginner

I'm just wondering,

Are the MKL base types: single, double, complex single, complex double, always the same physical bit sizes across supported platforms?

I.e. is a Single always a 4-byte floating point value, and a Double 'always' an 8-byte value on: 32-bit, 64-bit, Itanium ... for AMD and Intel processors?

Newton
------

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Shane_S_Intel
Employee
Quoting - newton_particle

I'm just wondering,

Are the MKL base types: single, double, complex single, complex double, always the same physical bit sizes across supported platforms?

I.e. is a Single always a 4-byte floating point value, and a Double 'always' an 8-byte value on: 32-bit, 64-bit, Itanium ... for AMD and Intel processors?

Newton
------

Yes, this should be the case for floating-point types.Note that we do provide specialSP2DP interfaceson Linux side to support old Cray style calls (i.e. where SGEMM and other S**** subroutines took double precision inputs). -Shane

0 Kudos
newton_particle
Beginner

Yes, this should be the case for floating-point types.Note that we do provide specialSP2DP interfaceson Linux side to support old Cray style calls (i.e. where SGEMM and other S**** subroutines took double precision inputs). -Shane

Great, and thanks :)

0 Kudos