Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
6428 Discussions

Building custom MKL dll, unresolved external symbols

Weeks__John
Novice

Building a custom MKL dll using Visual studio 2019 and MKL 2020 update 2. The example solution builds fine.

I edited the list of functions in example.def to my list of application unresolved symbols, as described in the MKL doc. I changed the Linker->Input Additional Dependencies from mkl_intel_lp64.lib to mkl_intel_ilp64.lib.

Building now gives me two unresolved external symbols. Here are the error outputs:

Error	LNK2019	unresolved external symbol _FDtest referenced in function "protected: void __cdecl mkl_blas_jit_gemm_t<class std::complex<float>,struct mkl_serv_Xbyak::Reg64>::gemm(struct mkl_blas_jit_gemm_strategy &,struct mkl_blas_jit_gemm_state &,bool)" (?gemm@?$mkl_blas_jit_gemm_t@V?$complex@M@std@@UReg64@mkl_serv_Xbyak@@@@IEAAXAEAUmkl_blas_jit_gemm_strategy@@AEAUmkl_blas_jit_gemm_state@@_N@Z)	lp64_parallel	C:\Users\John\Documents\Development\Igor9\CustomMKLDll\lp64_parallel\mkl_core.lib(_jit_gemm_kernel_generator_fb.obj)	1	
Error	LNK2019	unresolved external symbol _Dtest referenced in function "protected: void __cdecl mkl_blas_jit_gemm_t<class std::complex<double>,struct mkl_serv_Xbyak::Reg64>::gemm(struct mkl_blas_jit_gemm_strategy &,struct mkl_blas_jit_gemm_state &,bool)" (?gemm@?$mkl_blas_jit_gemm_t@V?$complex@N@std@@UReg64@mkl_serv_Xbyak@@@@IEAAXAEAUmkl_blas_jit_gemm_strategy@@AEAUmkl_blas_jit_gemm_state@@_N@Z)	lp64_parallel	C:\Users\John\Documents\Development\Igor9\CustomMKLDll\lp64_parallel\mkl_core.lib(_jit_gemm_kernel_generator_fb.obj)	1	
Error	LNK1120	2 unresolved externals	lp64_parallel	C:\Users\John\Documents\Development\Igor9\CustomMKLDll\x64\Debug\CustomMKL64d.dll	1	

_Dtest and _FDtest are part of the Visual C runtime, so surely one of these additional dependencies has those functions:

mkl_intel_ilp64.lib;mkl_intel_thread.lib;mkl_core.lib;libiomp5md.lib;msvcrt.lib;vcruntime.lib;ucrt.lib;kernel32.lib;user32.lib

Naturally, the mkl_xxx libraries are irrelevant; that's just the complete list. I would have expected ucrt.lib to have those symbols, though.

I tried Googling those symbols- I can get documentation, but not a mention of what library to include.

Any insights appreciated!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
mecej4
Black Belt

The missing symbols are to be found in the C++ runtime libraries (msvcprt.lib, libcpmt.lib, etc.). 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
mecej4
Black Belt

The missing symbols are to be found in the C++ runtime libraries (msvcprt.lib, libcpmt.lib, etc.). 

View solution in original post

Weeks__John
Novice

@mecej4  Thanks! I added msvcprt.lib to the Additional Dependencies list and my dll just built successfully. Now to make sure that our application actually runs with the new dll!