Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.
6981 Discussions

Can I perform matrix-vector multiplication myself when using PARDISO ?

afd_lml
Beginner
I want to use the PARDISO.

However, the matrix to be solved does not be explicitlygenerated, for example, the fast multiple method(FMM). In other words,I does not know the entries of the matrix,although I can carry out the matrix-vector multiplication.

So, the matrix itself can not be a input parameter for PARDISO.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
ArturGuzik
Valued Contributor I
Quoting - afd.lml

However, the matrix to be solved does not be explicitlygenerated, for example, the fast multiple method(FMM). In other words,I does not know the entries of the matrix,although I can carry out the matrix-vector multiplication.

Usually FMM employs GMRES based algorithm for solution procedure. MKL offers FGMRES which allows you (actually requires, it is reverse communication type) to perform matrix-vector multiplication yourself.

I'm unaware of any way that PARDISO can be used in that fashion. Presumably somebody will provide some more definite answer to that.

A.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ArturGuzik
Valued Contributor I
Quoting - afd.lml

Usually FMM employs GMRES based algorithm for solution procedure. MKL offers FGMRES which allows you (actually requires, it is reverse communication type) to perform matrix-vector multiplication yourself.

I'm unaware of any way that PARDISO can be used in that fashion. Presumably somebody will provide some more definite answer to that.

A.
0 Kudos
Konstantin_A_Intel

Hello,

Unfortunately, you cannot use PARDISO in a such way. It needs explicitly all matrix elements in order to make LLT or LU decompositions.

Artur gave yougood advice: use iterative solvers which support reverse communication interface.

Regards,
Konstantin
0 Kudos