Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.
6981 Discussions

FFT Crash in 1024-point, Multicore, C->C, Out-of-place, w/ MKL10.2

Paul1
Beginner
I'm getting a crashing memory fault when computing a 1D, 1024 point, double precision, C->C FFT, out-of-place, on multiple cores. I'm using the latest 10.2 MKL multithreaded libraries.

Has anybody seen this? The bug does not surface on a single core or for in-place computation (I ran millions over the weekend). With the same code, a 1023 or a 1025 point C->C FFT computes fine. 2D seems fine.

Any information would be helpful.

Paul

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Paul1
Beginner

Here is the code that is causing the crash. I also found that the SINGLE precision case is fine - this only crashes for the DOUBLE precision cases.

I've only see this crash on a windows 64 bit OS running multiple cores (eight). The single core case, on my 32 bit windows machine runs this fine.

Running MKL for Windows 10.1, update 3.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Paul

// FFTBug.c : Defines the entry point for the console application.
//

#include "stdlib.h"
#include "mkl_dfti.h"

typedef struct Complex
{
double real;
double imag;
}Complex16;

// This computes a series of C->C double precision FFT's, doubling the
// length of the FFT at each iteration. The starting length is
// defined by the var 'fftlength'.
int main(int argc, char* argv[])
{

Complex16 *x_in = (Complex16*) malloc(1024*1024*sizeof(Complex16));
Complex16 *x_out = (Complex16*) malloc(1024*1024*sizeof(Complex16));
int fftlength = 512; // Program fails starting with this length.

//int fftlength = 513; // Program finished starting with this length.

int doublings = 9;
int iterations = 10;

DFTI_DESCRIPTOR *my_desc1_handle;

int d, i;
for( d = 0; d < doublings ; d++)
{
printf("nProcessing fft of length: %in",fftlength);

// Must be a DFTI_DOUBLE precision FFT for the failure to occur.
// If we switch to DFTI_SINGLE the program will finish.
DftiCreateDescriptor( &my_desc1_handle, DFTI_DOUBLE, DFTI_COMPLEX, 1, fftlength);
DftiCommitDescriptor( my_desc1_handle );

if(DftiSetValue( my_desc1_handle, DFTI_PLACEMENT, DFTI_NOT_INPLACE) == 0)
{
printf("Successfully set descriptor to DFTI_NOT_INPLACE.n");
}
else
{
printf("Failed to set descriptor to DFTI_NOT_INPLACE.n");
}
if(DftiCommitDescriptor( my_desc1_handle ) == 0)
{
printf("Successfully committed descriptor.n");
}
else
{
printf("Failed to commit descriptor.n");
}
for ( i = 0; i < iterations; i++)
{
DftiComputeForward( my_desc1_handle, x_in, x_out);
}

printf("Finished processing fft of length: %inn",fftlength);

fftlength *= 2;
}

DftiFreeDescriptor(&my_desc1_handle);
free(x_in);
free(x_out);

printf("Finished.");
getchar();

return 0;
}

0 Kudos
Dmitry_B_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Looks like the computation fails on 8-byte aligned data. As a workaround, please make sure x_in/x_out are 16-byte aligned.

Thanks
Dima
0 Kudos
Paul1
Beginner

Hi,

Looks like the computation fails on 8-byte aligned data. As a workaround, please make sure x_in/x_out are 16-byte aligned.

Thanks
Dima

I appreciate the quick reply and verification Dima. Also, I don't know if this affects this issue, but I've verified that we are using the latest MKL version 10.2.

We are made a support ticket #563230for this issue.

We build .NET/C# computational libraries and I'm calling the MKL routines from C++/cli. The arrays that I am processing are passed into my C++/cli kernel from C#, so I don't have any alignment control. If the array is misaligned, I'd have to do an array copy which is computationally infeasible.

Thanks again,

Paul

Center Space Software

0 Kudos
Paul1
Beginner
I'm aligning my x_in/x_out arrays to 16 byte address boundaries and I unfortunately still get an occasional crash.

Paul
0 Kudos
Dmitry_B_Intel
Employee

Hi Paul,

May it be the reason of the occasional crashes you see that the descriptor is freed once in the end instead of in the loop. Thank you for submitting the issue. Unfortunately the problem lives in MKL 10.2 too.

Thanks
Dima

0 Kudos
Dmitry_B_Intel
Employee
Paul,

In case you use C# interfaces to MKL DFTI, the problems will likelyoccur if you use DftiSetValue function for setting forward/backward scales. The problem is associated with improper call of the variable argument function from the C# wrapper. The wrappers will be updated in the future, but there is a workaround, let me know if youneed it.

Thanks
Dima
0 Kudos
Paul1
Beginner

Hi Paul,

May it be the reason of the occasional crashes you see that the descriptor is freed once in the end instead of in the loop. Thank you for submitting the issue. Unfortunately the problem lives in MKL 10.2 too.

Thanks
Dima

I noticed that later and fix it, but it didn't affect the issue.

Paul

0 Kudos
Paul1
Beginner
Paul,

In case you use C# interfaces to MKL DFTI, the problems will likelyoccur if you use DftiSetValue function for setting forward/backward scales. The problem is associated with improper call of the variable argument function from the C# wrapper. The wrappers will be updated in the future, but there is a workaround, let me know if youneed it.

Thanks
Dima

I'm not right now, but thanks for the heads up Dima. Our bug report ticket is in process.

Paul

0 Kudos
barragan_villanueva_
Valued Contributor I

Hi Paul,

You found out that FFT crashes for 1024-point c2c out-of-place double precision but it looks like you should have analogous problems for other powers of 2 in case of problems with alignment. Please confirm that.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Paul1
Beginner
Hi Paul,

You found out that FFT crashes for 1024-point c2c out-of-place double precision but it looks like you should have analogous problems for other powers of 2 in case of problems with alignment. Please confirm that.
Thanks in advance

-- Victor

Hi Victor,

sorry for the delay. Yes, I do have this crashing problem for other power of 2 lengths - I have verified the crash for out-of-place c->c FFT lengths of 512 & 256.

Can you give me any update on when I could expect a patch for this issue?

Thank you for your help on this.

Paul

Research Scientist
CenterSpace Software

0 Kudos
barragan_villanueva_
Valued Contributor I
Quoting - paulshirkey

Hi Victor,

sorry for the delay. Yes, I do have this crashing problem for other power of 2 lengths - I have verified the crash for out-of-place c->c FFT lengths of 512 & 256.

Can you give me any update on when I could expect a patch for this issue?

Thank you for your help on this.

Paul

Research Scientist
CenterSpace Software

Hi Paul,

Could you please send us small C# test-case to reproduce your problem? If you have crashing problem with 256 and 512 sizes then it means thatmore likely your originalproblem is not related to 8-byte alignments of data.

Thanks in advance for your time
0 Kudos
Paul1
Beginner

Hi Paul,

Could you please send us small C# test-case to reproduce your problem? If ..... [deleted text]

Thanks in advance for your time

Hi Victor,

I can do this but it is quite a bit of work that I would like to avoid unless it is absolutely necessary. I don't have a pure C# example.

I've already sent an example that crashes in C, why is that not sufficient? Have you not be able to reproduce this bug using the C code? I also have sent all of the machine parameters describing the 8-core 64-bit OS machine on which we see this issue. I've never seen this crash on my single core 32-bit OS machine.

Paul

0 Kudos
barragan_villanueva_
Valued Contributor I
Hi Paul,

As to 1024 and other powers of 2 (double precision) the problem with 8-byte aligned data is fixed.

But you wrote:
Yes, I do have this crashing problem for other power of 2 lengths - I have verified the crash for out-of-place c->c FFT lengths of 512 & 256.

Therefore,we need your C# test-case in order to reproduce crash problem for 256 and 512 because it's not related to alignment of data.

Thanks
--Victor

0 Kudos
Paul1
Beginner
Hi Paul,

As to 1024 and other powers of 2 (double precision) the problem with 8-byte aligned data is fixed.

[...]

Thanks
--Victor

That is good news that the 1024 issue has been fixed. Thank you.

How/When will that fix be released?

Paul

0 Kudos
barragan_villanueva_
Valued Contributor I
Quoting - Paul

That is good news that the 1024 issue has been fixed. Thank you.

How/When will that fix be released?

Paul

Hi Paul,

The fixes are in MKL 10.2.3 which will be available soon

--Victor
0 Kudos
Gennady_F_Intel
Quoting - Paul

I appreciate the quick reply and verification Dima. Also, I don't know if this affects this issue, but I've verified that we are using the latest MKL version 10.2.

We are made a support ticket #563230for this issue.

We build .NET/C# computational libraries and I'm calling the MKL routines from C++/cli. The arrays that I am processing are passed into my C++/cli kernel from C#, so I don't have any alignment control. If the array is misaligned, I'd have to do an array copy which is computationally infeasible.

Thanks again,

Paul

Center Space Software

Intel MKL 10.2 Update 3 is now available.
The problem discussed into this tread has been fixed into this update.
Please see the Intel MKL 10.2 Update 3 is now available announce. You can find there the link to the Intel registration center to download.Could you please let us know if the problem is still exists?
--Gennady

0 Kudos