Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.
6981 Discussions

How to add MKL with TBB threading to application that uses TBB under Visual Studio?

ronhartley
Beginner

I have installed IntelSWTools 2017.4:
c:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries\windows

My application uses TBB:
Release(/MD): tbb\lib\intel64\vc12\tbb.lib       -> redist\intel64\tbb\vc12\tbb.dll
Debug(/MDd):  tbb\lib\intel64\vc12\tbb_debug.lib -> redist\intel64\tbb\vc12\tbb_debug.dll

How to add MKL with TBB threading (so that there would be only one TBB instance) to application that uses TBB?

The problem is that mkl_tbb_thread_dll.dll (as I understand) linked with:
tbb\lib\intel64\vc_mt\tbb.lib -> redist\intel64\tbb\vc_mt\tbb.dll
which is different from what my application uses.

Is redist\intel64\tbb\vc_mt\tbb.dll for mkl_tbb_thread_dll.dll can be changed to redist\intel64\tbb\vc12\tbb.dll ?
If yes how to be with Debug build (somehow rename redist\intel64\tbb\vc12\tbb_debug.dll to tbb.dll)?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Ying_H_Intel
Employee

Hi

It seems there were discussion about the issue. As i recalled,  you should be able to link the wanted tbb library with mkl_tbb_thread.lib .

vc_mt folder contains dlls which are statically linked to VC runtime.  If you want to use the other tbb tied with MSVS version and runtime library., please try ,

if with Release(/MD)

• Under Configuration Properties > linker  > General Additional Directory. add the wanted tbb path  :   tbb\lib\intel64\vc12
  • add redist\intel64\tbb\vc12\ in your system environment variable PATH.
  • reopen your MSVS and recompiled your exe.

Here i assume you are link MKL manually.    If you are link MKL Automatically. (please switch it ) and follow the instruction in manually parts.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-math-kernel-library-intel-mkl-compiling-and-linking-with-microsoft-visual-cc/

and please let us know if any issues.

Best Regards,

Ying

0 Kudos
ronhartley
Beginner

Thanks for help,
link with mkl_tbb_thread.lib (instead of mkl_tbb_thread_dll.lib) solves my issue.

0 Kudos