cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shitij90
Beginner

How to compile and run a simple program in C using MKL in linux

Hi !!

I have tried googling and searching the answer on this site, but to no avail. I am a beginner in linux as well as MKL, but I can compile and run programs in linux (not using MKL) fine. Intel's manual is a tad too technical for me, I cant understand if i have to link statically, dynamically, and with what options......

This is a simple program I am trying to run:

----------------------------------------------------------

#include
#include "mkl.h"

/*below is the declaration as given in header file*/
/*float cblas_sasum(const MKL_INT N, const float *X, const MKL_INT incX);*/

int main()
{

int n=5,inc=1;
float arr[]={1,2,3,4,5};
float result;
result=cblas_sasum(n, arr, inc);

/*or sasum(&n,arr,&inc) ?? --- both give similar errors*/

printf("result");
return 0;
}

-------------------------------------------------------------

now the problems and doubts:
1. Is the program itself fine ?
2. How do I compile it? I read about long link commands for this and the intel's link advisor (and the manual), tried them as it is, but they dont work.
3. If I simply write "icc exp4.c", where exp4.c is the name of the program, I get the error:-

/usr/include/gnu/stubs.h(7): catastrophic error: could not open source file "gnu/stubs-32.h"
# include
^

compilation aborted for exp4.c (code 4)

what is this error ?

4. If I compile by gcc, which I guess I shouldnt/cant, but still.... I get

/tmp/ccCqahjj.o: In function `main':
exp4.c:(.text+0x53): undefined reference to `cblas_sasum'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Thank you for your help in advance !!
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Gennady_F_Intel

We can recommend you to read the User's Guide first of all.
- after that please see at the examples which you can find into the package.For example the similar test you can find in ..\ComposerXE-2011\mkl\examples\cblas\source\ directoty ( on windows, but on linux it would be the similar folder).
-Please see the cblas_sasumx.c example.You can find there the makefiles which you can use for building these examples also.
- how to link with MKL? there are several KB articles, but first we recomend to see how to link with MKL - these article in the case if your version is 10.*
Gennady_F_Intel

here is the link to the MKL Knowledge Base

mecej4
Black Belt

Code that contains calls to special libraries, such as MKL, needs to be linked with these libraries in addition to the standard C and system libraries. This is done either by specifying compiler options, configuration files or simply by specifying the special library in the linker command.

Change

#include "mkl.h"

to

#include

Depending on the version of Linux and MKL, the command can be as simple as

icc -mkl xcblas.c

OR

with the help of the MKL Link Line Advisor Tool, with suitable choices for your setup,

[bash]$ gcc -I$MKLROOT/include xcblas.c -L $MKLROOT/lib/64 -L $MKLROOT/lib/64 -lmkl_solver_lp64_sequ
ential -Wl,--start-group -lmkl_intel_lp64 -lmkl_sequential -lmkl_core -Wl,--end-group -lpthread -lm[/bash]
shitij90
Beginner

Thank you so much guys.
It finally worked after I tried to understand what the huge link line was about, and after being more comfortable with linux commands. I have a different problem now, which I suppose I should ask in a different thread.
Thanks again !!