Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.

Is it legal to redistribute MKL

mkluser
Beginner
I would like to know whether it is legal if i develop a graphical and numerical library and use MKL as the numerical kernal.
I have found a product with this idea. Please see the refernce address.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
I don't think your question is clear. Surely, there is no problem distributing a library which includes MKL calls, expecting the user to get a license for MKL. Or, you may be able to static link the MKL functions you use.
0 Kudos
mkluser
Beginner

Dear sir,

Ok clear. I just want to know if I develop a "NEW" library and I only re-design the API of MKL in the "NEW" library. For example..

MKL => call sgetrf(m, n, a, lda, ipiv, info)

NEW => call newLU(out,in); where "out" and "in" are matrix

thank you for your reply.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
You're certainly entitled to make a library which calls BLAS functions, include source from netlib.org if you choose, and offer the option to link against MKL, without actually including MKL.
0 Kudos
mkluser
Beginner
I am not sure what you mean. So it is legal without limitation, am I right?
0 Kudos
Todd_R_Intel
Employee

We appreciate your interest in using Intel MKL as the basis for your own graphical and numerical library. The basic answer is yes. You can use Intel MKL in the manner you are proposing and many numerical and graphical libraries already do use Intel MKL in this way (as you have pointed out with AnCAD Matfor). Being a major corporation, our licensing can be a little tedious, hence we would prefer to explain the issues involved in more detail with you directly. We will contact you via your forum email address. We are confident that you will find that Intel MKL licensing terms are very amenable for what you are proposing to do.

-Todd

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
If the users of your code also have licenses for MKL, I see no problem. If you want a more detailed answer, perhaps you should contact the MKL team.
0 Kudos
sambeyene
Beginner
Hi,
I own a license for MKL but find it difficult to use.
Can you suggest of other packages that I can buythat encapsulate the library (using my own license) for ease of use?
Thanks,
Sam
0 Kudos
mkluser
Beginner
Dear sir,
Since my mail server has some problem, I reply you in the forum directly.
Thank you so much for your careful reply about the license of MKL via mail.
I cooperate with a teacher in University to develop a library for image processing and consider to commercialize the product. But we have problem about the "calculation speed". So we surveyed all the possible tools/library and found MKL is what we needed. But before we go, we need to confirm all issue about the license agreement. It's now so clear. I will report to my adviser.

Thanks again for your help with best support. ^-^
0 Kudos