Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Georgios_S_
New Contributor II

Makefile and MKL

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am using MKL (the student version) with MPICH2.In my Makefile, the paths for MKL are hardcoded. How can I make it that they get more general? I mean, that now that my professor will check the project, assuming he was MKL installed in his system, how can he compile it? I would like to provide a Makefile that would be (almost) ready to run.

OBJSDIR    =   obj
OBJS    = $(OBJSDIR)/main.o	$(OBJSDIR)/IO.o	$(OBJSDIR)/alloc.o	$(OBJSDIR)/communication.o	$(OBJSDIR)/accuracy.o
SOURCE  = main.cpp	src/IO.cpp	src/alloc.cpp	src/communication.cpp	src/accuracy.cpp
HEADER =	headers/IO.h	headers/alloc.h	headers/communication.h	headers/accuracy.h
OUT     =       test
CXX     = ../../mpich-install/bin/mpic++
CXXFLAGS	=	-I../../intel/mkl/include	-Wl,--start-group	 -Wl,--end-group	-lpthread	-lm	-ldl	-Wall
LDFLAGS   =       ../../intel/mkl/lib/intel64/libmkl_scalapack_lp64.a       -Wl,--start-group       ../../intel/mkl/lib/intel64/libmkl_intel_lp64.a ../../intel/mkl/lib/intel64/libmkl_core.a  ../../intel/mkl/lib/intel64/libmkl_sequential.a    -Wl,--end-group ../../intel/mkl/lib/intel64/libmkl_blacs_intelmpi_lp64.a -lpthread       -lm     -ldl

all:	$(OBJSDIR)	$(OUT)

$(OBJSDIR):
	mkdir	$(OBJSDIR)

$(OUT):	$(OBJS)
	$(CXX)	$(OBJS)	-o	$(OUT)	$(CXXFLAGS)	$(LDFLAGS)
#	make	-f	Makefile	clean

# create/compile the individual files >>separately<<
$(OBJSDIR)/main.o:    main.cpp
	$(CXX)	-c	main.cpp	$(CXXFLAGS)	-o	$@

$(OBJSDIR)/IO.o:	src/IO.cpp
	$(CXX)	-c	src/IO.cpp	$(CXXFLAGS)	-o	$@

$(OBJSDIR)/alloc.o:    src/alloc.cpp
	$(CXX)	-c	src/alloc.cpp	$(CXXFLAGS)	-o	$@

$(OBJSDIR)/communication.o:    src/communication.cpp
	$(CXX)	-c	src/communication.cpp	$(CXXFLAGS)	-o	$@

$(OBJSDIR)/accuracy.o:	src/accuracy.cpp
	$(CXX)	-c	src/accuracy.cpp	$(CXXFLAGS)	-o	$@

.PHONY:	clean
clean:
	rm	-rf	$(OBJSDIR)/*.o

So, how to modify CXXFLAGS and LDFLAGS? The linker advisor didn't help much.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Roman_D_Intel1
Employee

Sourcing mklvars.sh/csh or compilervars.sh/csh sets MKLROOT environment variable pointing to the MKL installation directory. Therefore you can use $(MKLROOT) in your Makefile. For example:

CXXFLAGS = -I$(MKLROOT)/include	
LDFLAGS  = $(MKLROOT)/lib/intel64/libmkl_scalapack_lp64.a -Wl,--start-group $(MKLROOT)/lib/intel64/libmkl_intel_lp64.a $(MKLROOT)/lib/intel64/libmkl_core.a $(MKLROOT)/lib/intel64/libmkl_sequential.a -Wl,--end-group $(MKLROOT)/lib/intel64/libmkl_blacs_intelmpi_lp64.a -lpthread -lm -ldl

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Roman_D_Intel1
Employee

Sourcing mklvars.sh/csh or compilervars.sh/csh sets MKLROOT environment variable pointing to the MKL installation directory. Therefore you can use $(MKLROOT) in your Makefile. For example:

CXXFLAGS = -I$(MKLROOT)/include	
LDFLAGS  = $(MKLROOT)/lib/intel64/libmkl_scalapack_lp64.a -Wl,--start-group $(MKLROOT)/lib/intel64/libmkl_intel_lp64.a $(MKLROOT)/lib/intel64/libmkl_core.a $(MKLROOT)/lib/intel64/libmkl_sequential.a -Wl,--end-group $(MKLROOT)/lib/intel64/libmkl_blacs_intelmpi_lp64.a -lpthread -lm -ldl

View solution in original post

Georgios_S_
New Contributor II

Hi Roman,

this didn't work, since I am getting errors of this nature: g++: error: /lib/intel64/libmkl_scalapack_lp64.a: No such file or directory

How to fix it?

George

TimP
Black Belt

MKLROOT is set by sourcing the mklvars script in the MKL installation.  Of course, it requires such an installation.

Georgios_S_
New Contributor II

That's it Tim, nice. I am going to accept Roman's answer, but I would like Roman to edit his post with the information of Tim.

Thanks,

George