Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andrew_Smith
New Contributor II

Missing dll in MKL 11 update 3

The 64 bit version of mkl_p4m3.dll is no longer included in the redistribution folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Composer XE 2013\redist\intel64\mkl"

Is this ommsion intended since this dll provides Core i7 support ?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Andrew_Smith
New Contributor II

I installed it from package w_fcompxe_novsshell_2013.3.171.exe

SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II

>>The 64 bit version of mkl_p4m3.dll is no longer included in the redistribution folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Composer >>XE 2013\redist\intel64\mkl" >> >>Is this ommsion intended since this dll provides Core i7 support ? A code e9 is used for 3rd generation of Intel CPUs. But in case of MKL a code avx is used instead for the dispatching DLL(s). I don't see the DLL even in Update 2 and codes p4 and m3 possibly related to older CPUs.
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II

>>...this dll provides Core i7 support ? Update and you're right! >>... I don't see the DLL even in Update 2 and codes p4 and m3 possibly related to older CPUs... Incorrect and this is what I just found for mkl_p4m3.dll: ...Kernel optimized for Intel® Core™ i7 Processor... I see that it is renamed to mkl_avx.dll: ...Kernel optimized for Intel® Advanced Vector Extensions (Intel® AVX)...
Andrew_Smith
New Contributor II

I tried installing the standalone MKL package for windows and still have no 64 bit version of mkl_p4m3.dll.

The update 2 contained this file. It's version shows as 11.0.2.1 when using the windows file properties dialog.

Update 3 has a similar file in the IA32 folder but obviously this is the 32 bit version.

SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II

Please see my previous post.

SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II

>>...Update 3 has a similar file in the IA32 folder but obviously this is the 32 bit version. I can't verify it because I decided to delay installation of the latest update. However, I see that the DLL is present even a previous version of MKL. So, let's see if more information will be provided.
Todd_R_Intel
Employee

Hi there,

I did a clean install of update 2 (via the Intel Composer XE packages) a few weeks ago and I don't see mkl_p4m3.dll in the redist/intel64/mkl. To support Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 our user guide lists mkl_p4m3.dll in the redist/ia32/mkl directory, and in the redist/intel64/mkl directoy we have mkl_mc3.dll.

I will double check on this. Is it possible that your update 2 installation had some dll's accidently copied around?

Todd

SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II

Hi Todd. I'll check my two systems ( with MKL 10.x / Windows XP and with MKL 11.x / Windows 7 ) as well. Next, I see that different identification codes associated ( used ) with Intel CPUs specific libraries for MKL and IPP: IPP identification codes are Instruction Set based: IA-32 Intel(R) architecture: w7 - Optimized for processors with SSE2 v8 - Optimized for the Intel(R) Atom(R) processor and processors with SSSE3 p8 - Optimized for processors with SSE4.1, SSE4.2, and AES g9 - Optimized for processors with AVX and AES-NI h9 - Optimized for processors with AVX2 Intel(R) 64 architecture: m7 - Optimized for processors with SSE3 u8 - Optimized for the Intel(R) Atom(R) processor and 64-bit applications on processors with SSSE3 y8 - Optimized for 64-bit applications on processors with SSE4.1 e9 - Optimized for processors with AVX l9 - Optimized for processors with AVX2 However, MKL identification codes are CPU based and it is inconsistency if compared to IPP.
Andrew_Smith
New Contributor II

I did a clean install of update 2 and confirm no 64 bit mkl_p4m3.dll . I must have copied it from 32 bit folder by mistake.

SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II

>>... I must have copied it from 32 bit folder by mistake... I completed a verification and for 2012 and 2013 versions of Intel Parallel Studio XE mkl_p4m3.dll is located in: ( ICCInstallDir )\Redist\Ia32\Mkl folder and I have Not found any 64-bit versions of the Dll.
Todd_R_Intel
Employee

Just closing the loop. There is no omitted DLLs. For whatever reason a different scheme is used to name some of the DLLs on IA32 than on Intel 64 so we don't see an mkl_p4m3.dll for 64-bit, but there is a 64-bit DLL that covers that same architecture: mkl_mc3.dll. If you're ever curious about which DLLs are targeted at which processor families, you can take a look at the appropriate appendices of the Intel MKL User Guides. Example: Contents of the redist\intel64\mkl Directory