Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.
6957 Discussions

Problem linking to Math kernel in Fortran Composer XE for OSX

John_Kornak
Beginner

Hi,

I would really appreciate any help to solve the following problem (or to point me in the direction as to where I can find a solution):

I recently installed Intel Fortran Composer XE for OS X (Snow Leopard on a new MacBook Pro) and I am trying to link a program to the fast Fourier Transform functions, but am having problems:

> ifort CGoct3D.f90 -L$MKLPATH -I$MKLINCLUDE -lmkl_intel_lp64 -lmkl_intel_thread -lmkl_core -openmp -lpthread
CGoct3D.f90(171): error #6284: There is no matching specific function for this generic function reference. [DFTICREATEDESCRIPTOR]
StatusBig(1) = DftiCreateDescriptor(FFT_BIG, DFTI_DOUBLE, DFTI_COMPLEX, 2, DimBig)
---------------^
CGoct3D.f90(176): error #6284: There is no matching specific function for this generic function reference. [DFTICOMPUTEFORWARD]
StatusBig(i) = DftiComputeForward(FFT_BIG,newA(:,:,i),DFTBig(:,:,i))
-------------------^
CGoct3D.f90(227): error #6284: There is no matching specific function for this generic function reference. [DFTICOMPUTEBACKWARD]
StatusBig(i) = DftiComputeBackward(FFT_Big,rmatBig(:,:,i))
---------------^
CGoct3D.f90(240): error #6284: There is no matching specific function for this generic function reference. [DFTICOMPUTEFORWARD]
StatusBig(i) = DftiComputeForward(FFT_BIG,bmat(:,:,i),DFTBig(:,:,i))
-------------------^
compilation aborted for CGoct3D.f90 (code 1)
>

I had compiled mkl_dfti.f90 as root:

> cd /opt/intel/composerxe-2011.3.167/mkl/include
include > ifort -I$MKLINCLUDE -c mkl_dfti.f90
include >

> ls -l mkl_dft*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 kornak staff 9577 Apr 30 16:19 mkl_dft_type.mod
-r--r--r-- 1 27945 wheel 28055 Mar 18 03:42 mkl_dfti.f90
-r--r--r-- 1 27945 wheel 10561 Mar 18 03:42 mkl_dfti.h
-rwxrwxrwx 1 kornak staff 52484 Apr 30 16:19 mkl_dfti.mod
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 783 Apr 30 16:19 mkl_dfti.o

In addition, I have the following environment variables set:

> echo $MKLROOT
/opt/intel/composerxe-2011.3.167/mkl
> echo $MKLPATH
/opt/intel/composerxe-2011.3.167/mkl/lib
> echo $MKLINCLUDE
/opt/intel/composerxe-2011.3.167/mkl/include
>

Finally, here are the relevant parts of the frotran 90 code:

[bash]PROGRAM bayes3D
 ! .. Use Statements ..
  Use MKL_DFTI
 ! none in USE
 ! .. Implicit None Statement ..
 IMPLICIT NONE
 ! .. Default Accessibility ..

! --- snip !

ALLOCATE (DimBig(2))
DimBig(1) = nl1
DimBig(2) = nl2
StatusBig(1) = DftiCreateDescriptor(FFT_BIG, DFTI_DOUBLE, DFTI_COMPLEX, 2, DimBig)
StatusBig(1) = DftiCommitDescriptor(FFT_BIG)

ALLOCATE (DFTBig(nl1,nl2,zl))
DO i=1,zl
    StatusBig(i) = DftiComputeForward(FFT_BIG,newA(:,:,i),DFTBig(:,:,i))
END DO[/bash]

Thanks for any insight.

Cheers

John

0 Kudos
10 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III
All the errors are related to the types of the arguments to the FFT subroutines: "There is no matching specific function for this generic function reference". Yet, you seem to think that the declarations of those variables were not relevant and did not show them. Without that information, it is impossible to diagnose the problem.
0 Kudos
John_Kornak
Beginner

Thank you for the very quick response.

I apologize for the incomplete information. I assumed that I was having a problem linking to the library without considering alternatives!

Redirecting me to realize it was a problem with my coding meant that I was able to debug it and get my code running correctly.

Thanks again

Cheers

John
0 Kudos
John_Kornak
Beginner
PS. Is there a way to delete this posting from the forum?

Given my poor initial description of the problem I doubt this will be of much use to anyone else.

Cheers

John
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
You should be able to delete your own posts, at least those which no one has yet replied, using the delete link which should appear next to the reply link. It's generally preferred not to delete posts which leave a dangling reply. I'll delete this reply if you delete your preceding ones.
0 Kudos
John_Kornak
Beginner

Sorry if this is a dumb question but what do you mean by a "dangling reply"?

Cheers

John
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
If someone has replied to your post, and you delete your post later on, the value of that reply may be destroyed.
0 Kudos
John_Kornak
Beginner
Got it. Thanks.

I will just leave the post as is then.

Cheers

John
0 Kudos
yuan_z_
Beginner

I am facing the same question as you once did. how did you solve your problem? Can you give me some help . I am looking forward to your reply.

My codes is as follows:

error #6284: There is no matching specific function for this generic function reference.   [FFT]

USE FOURIER, ONLY : &
  FFT, &                ! The Fast Fourier Transform routine.
  GetFFTDims, &
  CleanFFT, &
  GetFFTComplexDims

VWPot = 0.5 * FFT( FFT(VWPot) * qTable**2 ) / VWPot

0 Kudos
John_Kornak
Beginner

Sorry yuan z. I do not remember exactly what the problem. I think it was an error in my code where I declared an array to have the wrong type (e.g., integer array instead of real).

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Yuan Z.:

Show the interface for function FFT, and the declarations of the variables VWPot and qTable. Apparently, your module Fourier contains one or more specific functions with the generic name FFT, and the type of the argument in the invocation of the function FFT does not match the types of the arguments of any of the specific functions.

0 Kudos