Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.

Problems with Pardiso OOC model

Xudong_L_
Beginner

Dear all,

I am a graduate student in China. Recently I am using the Pardiso solver for solving linear equations of FEM (Finite Element Method). When I increased the size of the coefficient matrix, Pardiso prompted that the memory was not enough (error -2), but I noticed the only 47% of the memory was occupied.  I don't know why and decided to use OOC model to overcome this problem. But after a few days of trying, I still don't know how to use OOC. So could you please help me with this problem?

I set iparm(60)=2 and build a "pardiso_ooc.cfg" file in the working directory whose content is,

MKL_PARDISO_OOC_PATH=./tmp

MKL_PARDISO_OOC_MAX_CORE_SIZE=60000

MKL_PARDISO_OOC_MAX_SWAP_SIZE=100000

MKL_PARDISO_OOC_KEEP_FILE=0

I'm not sure if my operation is correct. After this operation, when I use Pardiso to solve a small-size problem (which can also be solved by in-core model), 6 new files (tmp.ind, tmp.jal, tmp.lnz, tmp.lup, tmp.sin, tmp.sle) are produced automatically in the working dictionary. However, if applied to a big-size problem, Pardiso cannot work again with error -2 and no new files are produced.

The computing platform I use has 12 processors (Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 v3 @ 2.4GHz) and memory of 63.0 GB, and the OS is  Linux (kernel version) 2.6.32-358.el.x86_64. The compiler is composer_xe_2013.3.163 and the ifort version is 13.1.1. The compiler is installed by seniors (the MKL is automatically installed), and I don't know how to get the version of MKL. The command I use is ''source /etc/profile" followed by "ifort xx.f -mcmodel=medium -mkl".

I am a green hand in the Linux OS and troubled by this problem for a long time. I will be appreciate if some of you can help me with it or give some advice!

Thanks for your attention!

Xudong Li

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Jing_Xu
Employee

Hi,

Have you checked https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/how-to-use-ooc-pardiso?

0 Kudos
Xudong_L_
Beginner

Jing X. (Intel) wrote:

Hi,

Have you checked https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/how-to-use-ooc-pardiso?

Hi, Jing X,

Thank you very much for your reply!

Yes, I do follow that document and set the configuration file as what it says except the number of OpenMP threads.

I'm not very clear about description of the number of OpenMP threads in the second paragraph, so I didn't change any parameter related to OpenMP. Maybe this is the key to my problem. I will be very appreciate if you would explain it in a little more detail.

Thanks again.

Best,

Xudong Li

0 Kudos