Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.

Run Linpack in W7

shimanus
Beginner
Hi, I need execute Linpack in my PC's (Intel Core 2 Duo and Intel Core i5, with W7), but i don't know how do this. I need of a guide for user, with informations about how compiler the Linpack. Please help me! I need all the steps to get to the test on my computer. Your site does not give instructions for execution, and the code is confusing. I do not know how to run it on my computer I need to get his performance and make comparisons with other computers. HELP ME!
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Ying_H_Intel
Employee
Hi Shimaunus,

Intel MKL provide Linpack executable file, whichshould berun directly on your PC.
If you had installed MKL on the test machine,then the exe file ares in C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Composer XE 2011 SP1\mkl\benchmarks\linpack.
You may add to the right of writeto the directory by Win 7
then double click ( open one cmd windows):runme_xeon32.bat
you will see the performance result in win_xeon32.txt.
(same as runme_xeon64.bat).

Or you can download the binaries from

<<http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-math-kernel-library-linpack-download/>>

So i guess, you don't need to compile it. And you can refer to MKL userguide (as sergey mentioned)about some basic information.
Best Regards,
Ying

Copy some basic information from MKL userguide.

Intel Optimized LINPACK Benchmark for Windows* OS

Intel Optimized LINPACK Benchmark is a generalization of the LINPACK 1000 benchmark. It solves a dense (real*8) system of linear equations (Ax=b), measures the amount of time it takes to factor and solve the system, converts that time into a performance rate, and tests the results for accuracy. The generalization is in the number of equations (N) it can solve, which is not limited to 1000. It uses partial pivoting to assure the accuracy of the results.

Do not use this benchmark to report LINPACK 100 performance because that is a compiled-code only benchmark. This is a shared-memory (SMP) implementation which runs on a single platform. Do not confuse this benchmark with:

• MP LINPACK, which is a distributed memory version of the same benchmark.

• LINPACK, the library, which has been expanded upon by the LAPACK library.

Intel provides optimized versions of the LINPACK benchmarks to help you obtain high LINPACK benchmark results on your genuine Intel processor systems more easily than with the High Performance Linpack (HPL) benchmark. Use this package to benchmark your SMP machine.

Contents of the Intel Optimized LINPACK Benchmark

The Intel Optimized LINPACK Benchmark for Windows* OS contains the following files, located in the benchmarks\linpack\ subdirectory of the Intel Math Kernel Library (Intel MKL) directory:

File in benchmarks\linpack\

Description

linpack_xeon32.exe

The 32-bit program executable for a system based on Intel Xeon processor or Intel Xeon processor MP with or without Streaming SIMD Extensions 3 (SSE3).

linpack_xeon64.exe

The 64-bit program executable for a system with Intel Xeon processor using Intel 64 architecture.

runme_xeon32.bat

A sample shell script for executing a pre-determined problem set for linpack_xeon32.exe. OMP_NUM_THREADS set to 2 processors.

runme_xeon64.bat

A sample shell script for executing a pre-determined problem set for linpack_xeon64.exe. OMP_NUM_THREADS set to 4 processors.

lininput_xeon32

Input file for pre-determined problem for the runme_xeon32 script.

lininput_xeon64

Input file for pre-determined problem for the runme_xeon64 script.

win_xeon32.txt

Result of the runme_xeon32 script execution.

win_xeon64.txt

Result of the runme_xeon64 script execution.

help.lpk

Simple help file.

xhelp.lpk

Extended help file.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
What version of Linpackare you trying to use?

There isIntel Linpack v10.3.7 ( standalone ) and it has lots of docs as html-files accessed through 'index.htm' file.
0 Kudos
Ying_H_Intel
Employee
Hi Shimaunus,

Intel MKL provide Linpack executable file, whichshould berun directly on your PC.
If you had installed MKL on the test machine,then the exe file ares in C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Composer XE 2011 SP1\mkl\benchmarks\linpack.
You may add to the right of writeto the directory by Win 7
then double click ( open one cmd windows):runme_xeon32.bat
you will see the performance result in win_xeon32.txt.
(same as runme_xeon64.bat).

Or you can download the binaries from

<<http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-math-kernel-library-linpack-download/>>

So i guess, you don't need to compile it. And you can refer to MKL userguide (as sergey mentioned)about some basic information.
Best Regards,
Ying

Copy some basic information from MKL userguide.

Intel Optimized LINPACK Benchmark for Windows* OS

Intel Optimized LINPACK Benchmark is a generalization of the LINPACK 1000 benchmark. It solves a dense (real*8) system of linear equations (Ax=b), measures the amount of time it takes to factor and solve the system, converts that time into a performance rate, and tests the results for accuracy. The generalization is in the number of equations (N) it can solve, which is not limited to 1000. It uses partial pivoting to assure the accuracy of the results.

Do not use this benchmark to report LINPACK 100 performance because that is a compiled-code only benchmark. This is a shared-memory (SMP) implementation which runs on a single platform. Do not confuse this benchmark with:

• MP LINPACK, which is a distributed memory version of the same benchmark.

• LINPACK, the library, which has been expanded upon by the LAPACK library.

Intel provides optimized versions of the LINPACK benchmarks to help you obtain high LINPACK benchmark results on your genuine Intel processor systems more easily than with the High Performance Linpack (HPL) benchmark. Use this package to benchmark your SMP machine.

Contents of the Intel Optimized LINPACK Benchmark

The Intel Optimized LINPACK Benchmark for Windows* OS contains the following files, located in the benchmarks\linpack\ subdirectory of the Intel Math Kernel Library (Intel MKL) directory:

File in benchmarks\linpack\

Description

linpack_xeon32.exe

The 32-bit program executable for a system based on Intel Xeon processor or Intel Xeon processor MP with or without Streaming SIMD Extensions 3 (SSE3).

linpack_xeon64.exe

The 64-bit program executable for a system with Intel Xeon processor using Intel 64 architecture.

runme_xeon32.bat

A sample shell script for executing a pre-determined problem set for linpack_xeon32.exe. OMP_NUM_THREADS set to 2 processors.

runme_xeon64.bat

A sample shell script for executing a pre-determined problem set for linpack_xeon64.exe. OMP_NUM_THREADS set to 4 processors.

lininput_xeon32

Input file for pre-determined problem for the runme_xeon32 script.

lininput_xeon64

Input file for pre-determined problem for the runme_xeon64 script.

win_xeon32.txt

Result of the runme_xeon32 script execution.

win_xeon64.txt

Result of the runme_xeon64 script execution.

help.lpk

Simple help file.

xhelp.lpk

Extended help file.

0 Kudos
shimanus
Beginner
Tanks Ying H and Sergey!! So I ran on my Core 2 Duo, the results were an average of 14 GFlops ... is that right?

I do not know to compile, this is not my area, I'm "breaking a twig", but I need to compile this benchmark, what are the steps to build?

Sorry about this question, but I'm desperate!
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Quoting shimanus
Tanks Ying H and Sergey!! So I ran on my Core 2 Duo, the results were an average of 14 GFlops ... is that right?

[SergeyK] It looks right.

...I need to compile this benchmark, what are the steps to build?..

I'll take a look at a Standalone version of Intel Linpack since it has some sources. Also, there is another version of Linpack:

'Linpack 100x100 Benchmark In C/C++ For PCs'

asone C source file and you could find it on the Internet.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
'Linpack 100x100 Benchmark In C/C++ For PCs'

asone C source file and you could find it on the Internet.

The source code is enclosed.

0 Kudos