Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.

beginners guide to use mkl with ivf

peter_cool14
Beginner
Can somebody help me how to use mkl with ivf 11.0 on a 64 bit computer (this might not matter). As I see it why should i use command line when im using visual fortran. Every user says i ran this on command line...... This kinda scares me. I dont know anything about computer internals and i dont want to waste my time learning that. Come on guys Fortran is intended for engineering and scientific calculations and it looks to me like i should include all the paths, libraries etc etc. This really sucks. I think it is time to switch to Matlab. When you install Matlab its just ready to do everything. But installing Intel'sFortran is a pain at the first place and after installation there are tons of other headaches. A kid might want to use ivf as is, for adding and subtracting numbers. But without mkl and array visualizer doesnt make sense to me. And moreover the documetation is not on the same page ofall operating systems(like a 64 bit ). The documentation is absolutely outdated. Before selling ivf you should warn buyers ! This is only meant for advanced computer users !
0 Kudos
25 Replies
Peter
Beginner
Artur,

I still get the same error. But now I know what was wrong.

I succesfully solved 3 equations 3 unknowns using Lapack(sgesv), not contempt yet.

I'l try to solve it on my own (genmm). I know my code was right (but not perfect). The problem is adding paths, i mean it is a complier thing.

Anyways, thanks a lot for your help throughout. I owe a beer :-)

I'l post back once i get that right.

0 Kudos
Peter
Beginner
Artur,

And finally it worked.

The lesson i've learnt so far is be very careful when giving the .lib files in linkerinput tab.

The reason why my last code that calls sgemm did not work was because i used .lib files for parallel codes instead of sequential computing. I am glad I have basic idea what parallel and sequential computing is.

0 Kudos
ArturGuzik
Valued Contributor I
Quoting - peter_cool14
I succesfully solved 3 equations 3 unknowns using Lapack(sgesv), not contempt yet.

I'l try to solve it on my own (genmm). I know my code was right (but not perfect). The problem is adding paths, i mean it is a complier thing.

Peter,

I took a closer look. Your call is wrong and the arguments are incorrect (as MKL reports).

MKL definitions
[plain]
call dgemm(transa, transb, m, n, k, alpha, a, lda, b, ldb, beta, c, ldc)[/plain]

and your

[plain]call dgemm('n', 'n', 6, 4, 5, alpha, a, largedima, beta, b, 5, c, 6)[/plain]

This must be the case:

(1) your solved other example using LAPACK (which means your paths are OK)

(2) you build and linked this example (which means library found, no compilation and linking errors)

so the only thing remaining to check was... your source. Dimensions are OK, you just replaced B with beta. Correct this and should be fine.

A.

PS. This comes from editor, as it does not recognize Fortran syntax. It supposed to be bold
0 Kudos
ArturGuzik
Valued Contributor I
Quoting - peter_cool14
And finally it worked.

The lesson i've learnt so far is be very careful when giving the .lib files in linkerinput tab.

Peter,

glad to hear that. I didn't see your last post(s) when I replied and then yours were inserted (it happens on Intel forums).

Sure, with libs you have to be carefull.

best wishes

A.
0 Kudos
Peter
Beginner
Artur,

you are right regarding the parameters (beta). yes i changed them in the latest code and it worked. I messed with the inputs.

My previous reply regarding, setting files, adding paths made me learn some computer internals. I'l be using them frequently from now on. So hopefully I should have no problem.

Thanks again for stayin with me untill the end (for now) :-)

0 Kudos