Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mkl_?csrcoo converter function

Jump to solution

Hi, 

I am trying to get this matrix format converter function to work in C. I checked and edited my program many times as well as checked the documentation but I always end up with the error:

INTEL MKL ERROR: Parameter 1 was incorrect on entry to MKL_DCSRCOO

which refers to the job array. I want to transform a sparse matrix in COO format to CSR format for use in PARDISO. 

I decided to test it out on the example matrix included under the Storage Format example of the mkl-2017-developer-reference-c.pdf

Here is my code snippet below:

int main () 
{
	MKL_INT job[6];
	MKL_INT n = 5;
	MKL_INT nnz = 13;
	MKL_INT info = 0; 

double *acsr = calloc(nnz, sizeof(double));
	MKL_INT *ja = calloc(nnz, sizeof(MKL_INT));
	MKL_INT *ia = calloc(n+1, sizeof(MKL_INT));

double acoo[] = { 1, -1, -3, -2, 5, 4, 6, 4, -4, 2, 7, 8, -5 };
	MKL_INT rowind[] = { 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4, 5, 5 };
	MKL_INT colind[] = { 1, 2, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 1, 3, 4, 2, 5 };

job[0] = 1;
	job[1] = 1;
	job[2] = 1;
	job[5] = 0;

mkl_dcsrcoo(job, &n, acsr, ja, ia, &nnz, acoo, rowind, colind, &info);

getchar(); 
	return 0; 
}

I am using the 2017 version of mkl. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
mecej4
Black Belt

If you open a Parallel Studio command prompt from the Start menu, and type "cl" (for the Visual C compiler) or "icl" (for the Intel C compiler), you will see the version of the compiler displayed.

I find that if I set up %INCLUDE% so that the Intel C-compiler's non-MKL-related include files are never used, the problems do not occur with older Visual C compilers. That is, if you use the Visual C compiler, and target x64, do not let it search for include files that came with the Intel C compiler, except for the MKL include files, and use an older version of the Visual compiler than 19.11.25507.1 .

UPDATE: I think that the real cause of the problems is that job[3] and/or job[4] are undefined. Some versions of the MKL documentation make no mention of what should go into job[3] (it is intended to specify whether the upper or lower triangle or the whole of the dense matrix is to be filled in), and says that job[4] should be set equal to nzmax in the case when job[0]=0. If this conjecture is correct, the bug should be easy to fix for the MKL team.

In the meantime, please set job[3] and job[4] to zero and see if that makes the problem go away.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
mecej4
Black Belt

I don't see any problem with the code snippet, provided you add the needed #include directives (at least stdio.h and mkl.h). What OS and which version/release of MKL/C compiler?

Version/Release is 17.0.0.109 / 20160721. The initial release of Intel Parallel XE 2017.

Here are my includes in case it might help:

#define _CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <math.h>
#include <mkl_lapacke.h>

#include "mkl.h"
#include "mkl_pardiso.h"
#include "mkl_types.h"
#include <time.h>

I am using Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) 

With processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz (8CPUs)

mecej4
Black Belt

I see the error, along with some compiler messages regarding redefinition of some macros in <math.h>, only when I use the Visual C compiler targeting x64, with the optimization option /Ot. No errors with the Intel C compiler. or with /Od with the Visual C compiler. No errors with either compiler when targeting x86. (See #6)

I felt like I experimented with a variety of the above options to no avail, the error still persists.  

I am using Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2015 and I found out that the Intel Parallel Studio XE 2017 installed with it is Update 1 with Version 17.0.71.14. 

I'm not sure which compiler I'm using or how to switch but I did target x86 as well as messed with various optimization options with the same result. 

Appreciate the assistance thus far though. 

mecej4
Black Belt

If you open a Parallel Studio command prompt from the Start menu, and type "cl" (for the Visual C compiler) or "icl" (for the Intel C compiler), you will see the version of the compiler displayed.

I find that if I set up %INCLUDE% so that the Intel C-compiler's non-MKL-related include files are never used, the problems do not occur with older Visual C compilers. That is, if you use the Visual C compiler, and target x64, do not let it search for include files that came with the Intel C compiler, except for the MKL include files, and use an older version of the Visual compiler than 19.11.25507.1 .

UPDATE: I think that the real cause of the problems is that job[3] and/or job[4] are undefined. Some versions of the MKL documentation make no mention of what should go into job[3] (it is intended to specify whether the upper or lower triangle or the whole of the dense matrix is to be filled in), and says that job[4] should be set equal to nzmax in the case when job[0]=0. If this conjecture is correct, the bug should be easy to fix for the MKL team.

In the meantime, please set job[3] and job[4] to zero and see if that makes the problem go away.

View solution in original post

mecej4
Black Belt

Here are some details regarding the MKL bug. Stepping into the MKL routines in the VS debugger, I found the following lines of assembler:

00007FFDF93FDB70  cmp         dword ptr [rcx+8],1    #  job[2] > 1 ?
00007FFDF93FDB74  ja          00007FFDF93FDB4A  
00007FFDF93FDB76  cmp         dword ptr [rcx+10h],0  #  job[4] < 0 ?
00007FFDF93FDB7A  jl          00007FFDF93FDB4A  
00007FFDF93FDB7C  cmp         dword ptr [rcx+14h],3  #  job[5] > 3 ?
00007FFDF93FDB80  ja          00007FFDF93FDB4A  

Note that RCX contains the first argument to mkl_dcsrcoo, which is the pointer to the JOB array. In the example code, JOB = [1, 1, 1, ?, ?, 0]. The second compare instruction queries the value of JOB[4], which is not defined. If the junk value happens to be negative, things go wrong. I think that the manual should make it clear that JOB[4] should be set to zero, or the MKL code should be fixed.

Ying_H_Intel
Employee

Hello, 

Please refer to MKL example dconverters.c, which be default in MKL install directory .   and it  provided the sample code about the function. 

for example 

MKL_INT job[8];

job[0]=1;
      job[5]=2;
      mkl_scsrcoo (job,&n, Acsr, AJ,AI,&nnz,Acoo, ir,jc,&info); 

If it is still issue, please submit your question to our official support channel: Online Service Center - Intel Support

Best Regards

Ying

Yes you are right mecej4, it seems I need to initialize job[3] and job[4] to 0.  I was a bit confused as job[3] wasn't mentioned in the documentation and job[4] is used for when job[0] = 0 so I thought I can ignore it. I cannot express my gratitude enough.

Thank you both for the help.

mecej4
Black Belt

Glad to hear that the suggestion worked.