Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.

numroc returns incorrect value in scalapack

Phil_L_
Beginner

Hi Fiona,

Thank you for your response. Sorry for the incomplete message earlier, I noticed a mistake and couldn't figure out how to temporarily delete the post before getting back to it today. 

Here is the code. First the value of nb is mysteriously set to zero after calling Blacs_Gridinfo. Then the values of l_nrows and l_ncols from numroc are both equal to the reset value of nb. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thank you - Phil.

!Compile options:
!
!  -i8 -I${MKLROOT}/include/intel64/ilp64 -I${MKLROOT}/include
!
!Link options:
!
!${MKLROOT}/lib/intel64/libmkl_blas95_ilp64.a ${MKLROOT}/lib/intel64/libmkl_lapack95_ilp64.a ${MKLROOT}/lib/intel64/libmkl_scalapack_ilp64.a -Wl,--start-group ${MKLROOT}/lib/intel64/libmkl_intel_ilp64.a ${MKLROOT}/lib/intel64/libmkl_core.a ${MKLROOT}/lib/intel64/libmkl_sequential.a ${MKLROOT}/lib/intel64/libmkl_blacs_openmpi_ilp64.a -Wl,--end-group -lpthread -lm -ldl
!
!

Program CheckIntelNumroc
use mpi
implicit none

integer :: NPROW=4,NPCOL=6,NB=4
integer :: nprocs,iam,IERROR,MYPROC,MYROW,MYCOL,CONTEXT,n
integer :: numroc,l_nrows,l_ncols

CALL MPI_INIT (IERROR)
CALL MPI_COMM_SIZE (MPI_COMM_WORLD,NPROCS,IERROR)
CALL MPI_COMM_RANK (MPI_COMM_WORLD,MYPROC,IERROR)

CALL BLACS_PINFO(IAM,nprocs)
call blacs_get(0,0,context)
call blacs_gridinit( context, 'R', nprow, npcol)

print *,nb !nb returns the correct value

CALL BLACS_GRIDINFO( context, nprow, npcol, myrow, mycol )

print *, nb,iam,myrow,mycol,nprow,npcol !NOTE THAT NB=0 in the printout! Why is this?

nb=16
n=10000
call blacs_barrier(context,'a')

l_nrows = numroc(n,nb,myrow,0,NPROW) 
l_ncols = numroc(n,nb,mycol,0,NPCOL)
print *, nb,iam,myrow,mycol,nprow,npcol,l_nrows,l_ncols  !l_ncols = l_nrows = nb in the printout, this is not correct. Other values seem correct.

Call Blacs_Gridexit(context)
Call MPI_Finalize(ierror)

end program CheckIntelNumroc

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Zhen_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Could you please provide more info including all parameters of numroc_ .For the process's row/column coordinate in the process grid  may also relay on how you use BLACS_GRIDINFO and BLACS_GRIDINIT, please provide a reproducer/ sample code. Thanks.

Best regards,
Fiona

0 Kudos
Zhen_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I tested with IntelMPI, there's no any problem with the value of l_nrows & l_ncols. For example, if we set to the 10000*10000 matrix into 4*6 small matrix (NPROW=4,NPCOL=6), and I have 4 processors. The numroc will do following work:

!Figure PROC's distance from source process
     MYDIST = MOD( NPROCS+IPROC-ISRCPROC, NPROCS )
!Figure the total number of whole NB blocks N is split up into
     NBLOCKS = N / NB
!Figure the minimum number of rows/cols a process can have
     NUMROC = (NBLOCKS/NPROCS) * NB
!See if there are any extra blocks
     EXTRABLKS = MOD( NBLOCKS, NPROCS )
!If I have an extra block
     IF( MYDIST.LT.EXTRABLKS ) THEN
           NUMROC = NUMROC + NB
!If I have last block, it may be a partial block
     ELSE IF( MYDIST.EQ.EXTRABLKS ) THEN
          NUMROC = NUMROC + MOD( N, NB )
     END IF

That means, for first 6 matrices (myrow=0, 0<=mycol<6), the l_nrows is (n/nb/nprocs)*nb+extra that (10000/16/4)*16+16=2512. And left (myrow!=0, 0<=mycol<6) row of matrices is always 2496 (column are not considered here). I saw you tried to print the result, but there's one point you need to pay attention. Those processors are alternatively working, the printing work of each processor is not finished one by one. The l_nrows of first matrix may be printed at the end, if you want to see the sequential result, you probably could print rank by rank by adding following code:

DO i=0,24
CALL MPI_BARRIER(MPI_COMM_WORLD,IERROR)
IF(MYPROC==i) THEN
	write (*,*) "after numroc,nb=",nb,",iam=",iam,",myrow=",myrow,",mycol=",mycol,",nprow=",nprow,",npcol=",npcol,",l_nrows=",l_nrows,",l_ncols=",l_ncols
END IF
END DO

Best regards,
Fiona

0 Kudos
Phil_L_
Beginner

Hi Fiona,

Thank you for your response. The problem appears to have been due to a linker issue and to be fixed now.

Cheers,

Phil

0 Kudos