Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2827 Discussions

AMT stops responding via network - DHCP IP Address missing

GMaie4
Beginner

Hello,

After initial Configuration on a new client AMT work fine. After some days AMT stops responding on the network. Only a hard reset of the computer pulling the powercord reactivate AMT on the client.

Since AMT Version 11 I have to change the AMT initial configuration  process.

Right now I enable AMT in BIOS. After reboot I logon to the MEBx via ctrl -P .   I change the default password and activate network access with DHCP Ip-Sharing with host. Thereafter I import my self-signed openssl certificates with powershell to access the system remote via port 16993 only.

That work fine but after a while AMT stops responding.  Connecting to AMT via localhost on the device revealed that the link is up but the system didn't receive an IP-address.

When I hard switch off the system MEBx reinitialize  and the system is working for a view days, loosing it s Ip -Address  again.

Solutions appreciate!

Regards

Günter

0 Kudos
47 Replies
JoseH_Intel

Hello GMaie4,

Thank you for joining the Intel community

The issue you describe sounds like a known issue reported with 6th generation core processors. Please take a look at this public article and let me know if it works for you: Intel AMT login error message "User name was not recognized"

I will look forward for your feedback.

Regards

Jose A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
GMaie4
Beginner
Hello Jose, I checked the article but my CPU is a Intel 8th generation and it is possible to reboot the system. Computer model ESPRIMO P958 Manufacturer FUJITSU Product name D3602-A1 BIOS Version V5.0.0.13 R1.13.0 for D3602-A1x Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-8500 CPU @ 3.00GHz What else could be the problem? Last week i pulled the powercord of this computer. Today it responds still to requests. So it worked for one week but after a while it will stop! Regular pings are send to this systems but the new AMT Firmware won't wake up within time so the pings are not responded. Regards Günter Regards
0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello GMaie4,

Thanks for the updates. By any change have you already updated the BIOS and/or Management Engine firmware for your system? We have seen this issue been related to ME firmware not up to date.

We'll look forward for you updates

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos
GMaie4
Beginner
Hi Jose, it can't be an firmware version issue, because I have more than new 100 computers (Two different series) with the same problem. Most of them have the latest bios/firmware Version. All my old computers (more than 100) with outdated firmware work without problems. (Initial configuration done by Manageability Commander and certificates altered manually due to computer renaming) Thus it must be a problem with the new firmware releases. Either the AMT-firmware is not stable enough and it crash after a while or there is a feature that shutdown the LAN Port after a while when I did a manual configuration only. Do you have any ideas Regards
0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello GMaie4,

I am just following up to double check if you were able to gather the requested information. Otherwise let us know if you require more time to accomplish this.

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello GMaie4,

By any chance have you opened a ticket with Fujitsu about this issue? Do you know if they have any latest BIOS/firmware update available, possibly not released yet, that might address this particular issue?

I think it would be worthy to ask them if they have similar issues reported on their systems and how did they get them fix.

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos
MichaelA_Intel

Hi Gunter,

​​​​​​​I've read through the details in the case and also on this thread. I understand that both the older systems and newer systems are experiencing this issue. Can you please provide:

1. Firmware versions of non-working systems, both old and new?
  2. Make and model of systems that are experiencing this issue
  3. Are you using 802.1x, either wired or wireless?

Regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
GMaie4
Beginner
1. Fujitsu announce next firmware version in a few weeks. Most computers have the latest available firmware. It is not a mater of AMT version or computer model; all versions of AMT Firmware 12 have the same behavior; It could be a problem of the manufacturer or of the configuration. (or of the amt firmware) 1. a All computers are pinged every 5 Minutes. Computers with AMT version 12 are functional after a powerloss (new initialization of the amt Firmware) ! They should respond to pings. But it takes a while until they wake up and answer to ping. They shut down network LAN interface after a few days. (Some computer after 4 days others work for 3 weeks) 2. All computers are connected to LAN. 3. On machine - local access to amt is possible 4. Configuration of PCs with AMT version 12: (The amt configuration was enabled via ; enter new password; enable AMT; upload certificates with powershell; Enable SSL) 5. Computers with older non supported AMT Firmware <12 work well. (In this case the initial configuration was done with Manageability Developer Tool Kit ; certificates updated with powershell)
0 Kudos
MichaelA_Intel

GMaie4,

I would like to set up a virtual troubleshooting session with you so that you can show us this behavior and we can look at the settings. I still do not know if you have implemented 802.1x. In order to do so, is it ok to move this conversation for now over to email?

Regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
MichaelA_Intel

Hi GMaie4

Just checking to see if you read my last post.

Regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
jerrythea
Novice

I know this is an old post, but I wanted to add another data point.

I am on an Intel NUC system:

System Information
        Manufacturer: Intel(R) Client Systems
        Product Name: NUC11TNHv5
        Version: M11919-405

I have tried both static IP address for the AMT, and DHCP.

I was finally able to get Intel the LMS built on this platform (it is a Linux system), so I can now see the exact issue:

Local Manageability Service

When the issue occurs, the AMT ethernet connection only shows an IP address of 

I tried static IP address assignment as well, when this occurs.

The setting is applied, but the AMT is still not accessible (except via localhost, using LMS).

I am glad to setup a shared session so we can maybe finally resolve this.

It is clearly a bug in AMT/ME.

0 Kudos
jerrythea
Novice

Here are the system details:

System Information
Platform
Computer model
	NUC11TNHv5
Manufacturer
	Intel(R) Client Systems
Version
	M11919-405
Serial number
	XXXXXXXXXXXXX
System ID
	XXXXXXXXXXXX
Baseboard
Manufacturer
	Intel Corporation
Product name
	NUC11TNBv5
Version
	M11900-404
Serial number
	XXXXXXXXXXX
Asset tag

Replaceable?
	Yes
BIOS
Vendor
	Intel Corp.
Version
	TNTGLV57.0069.2022.0816.1120
Release date
	08/16/2022
0 Kudos
jerrythea
Novice

I have a support ticket open with Intel, and will report on any findings.

So far the only workaround is to power off the system and unplug the power cord.

0 Kudos
epavelcz
Beginner

Hi Everyone,

I had the same issue with my NUC11TNHv5. I did these steps and now it’s been running for more than 3 days.

• I set static IP of the host to IP_A and set DNS to DNS_A
  • I set static IP of the Intel Active Management Technology to IP_B and set host name to DNS_B. I also set correct name in DNS to reply for DNS_B.
  • I set correct Computer host name and domain name in AMT to FQDN (DNS_B)
  • I unchecked “Use Dynamic DNS update” as this was my tip for the issue cause
  • I unchecked “Shared FQDN” – I have different IPs different FQDN (DNS_A / DNS_B)
  • I disabled IPv6
  • I went to BIOS (normal BIOS accessible using F2) and set Bios, Devices, Video, “Headless display emulation” in Devices->Video section.
  • I am on latest BIOS version 0069 (TNTGLV57.0069.2022.0816.1120)
  • On the host I am running Linux without software related to Intel Management.

I saw in ARP of my router, that both IP_A and IP_B share the same MAC address.

I did most of the settings using ctrl-p during the machine initialization, or once the network management is provisioned, you can use web portal on port 16992 as follows: http://IP_B:16992/

I also made experiments with DHCP on both host and AMT, but that did not work (AMT got disconnected after circa 24 hours).

I also mentioned that there is another IP settings in BIOS (normal BIOS accessible using F2). I was curious, what is this for, so I tried to set DHCP. At this point my router gave IP to the machine, but did not find out what is that for. After reboot this setting was gone (maybe rewritten by AMT, I have no idea).

But hopefully AMT seems to work including KVM after I made all these steps.

Regards
Pavel

0 Kudos
jerrythea
Novice

I have an open support ticket with Intel, and they have been able to reproduce the bug, and a fix is being investigated.

"The good news is that we have filed an erratum on the issue and the validation team has already launched an investigation into what is going on. Hopefully, we will see a resolution soon."

I have not tried your suggested workaround specifying independent DNS servers, that seems plausible.

• I have taken another track, and have another node on the LAN pinging the AMT IP address every 10 seconds.
  • So far the AMT interface has remained up for over 24 hours. Let's see if that continues.

0 Kudos
adutchman
Beginner

I found that this step was not needed...

• I went to BIOS (normal BIOS accessible using F2) and set Bios, Devices, Video, “Headless display emulation” in Devices->Video section.

Actually, all that I ended up doing was this...

• I left the host on DHCP (In my case Windows 11 Professional)
  • I set a static IP of the Intel Active Management Technology
  • I set different host name in AMT than the host name in OS
  • IPv6 was never enabled (this is the default setting)
  • I left “Use Dynamic DNS update” unchecked (this was the default setting anyway)
  • I unchecked “Shared FQDN”

Note that my router only shows the IP address of the host Operating System and not the static IP assigned to AMT.  I suspect that is because they share the same MAC address.

0 Kudos
adutchman
Beginner

I have an Intel NUC11TNHv7.  I am experiencing the same issue where the AMT stops responding on the network after a while.  Just how long is unknown.  So far, the only way that I can restore AMT on network is to pull power to reset.

I will try workaround suggested by epavelcz, but I only have 1 DNS server.  Any suggestions or more specific instructions are greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
jerrythea
Novice

I tried a temporary 'hack' by having another system on the local LAN ping the Intel AMT IP address (static IP).

This kept the AMT available for almost a week.

However, it started failing the ping after about 6 days, and from that point onwards the Intel AMT is no longer accessible on the LAN at its static IP address.

All of these proposed workarounds can only be considered 'hacks'.

Intel has reproduced the issue and acknowledged that this is a bug.

Intel has formally agreed that an updated firmware will be the only acceptable fix.

If you cannot wait for that to be released (no ETA is yet available) the only recourse is to file a warranty claim and possibly get a refund.

All 11th Gen Intel i5 NUCs (and probably i7's as well) with vPro seem to exhibit this bug, so a replacement unit will not resolve the issue.

0 Kudos
jerrythea
Novice

My temporary solution utilizes a PiKVM device which provides a full hardware solution, independent of AMT.

PiKVM works for any device that has an HDMI output and USB keyboard/mouse.

I am leaning towards avoiding intel AMT and vPro going forward, since it appears that Intel is de-emphasizing this capability.

0 Kudos
adutchman
Beginner

The PiKVM device looks very cool and I may consider that in the future.  I just can't afford to add it to the current system cost at this time.

0 Kudos