Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2886 Discussions

Cannot install on Windows 7 with MS-SQL Express 2008

GVoye
Beginner

I'm trying to install SCS 8.1 on a Windows 7 x64 French.

I've installed MS SQL Server 2008 Express Edition x64 and got no problem.

Then tried to install SCS 8.1 but cannot find any database server, neither local nor network.

I've installed the same MS SQL Server 2008 Express x64 on another computer but still can't see any database server on the network.

Is there something particular i didn't understand or missing?

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Joseph_O_Intel
Employee

If installing SCS in database mode, it does require Enterprise MS SQL, per the users manual on page 34

"You can install the database on a computer running any of these Enterprise versions of SQL Server:

•Microsoft* SQL Server* 2008 x32/x64 (SP1)

•Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 x64

•Microsoft SQL Server 2005 x32 (SP4) "

0 Kudos
GVoye
Beginner

Hello Joe,

I've manage to diagnose the problem.

Correct me if i'm wrong but RCS installs itself as a 32 bits program in C:\Program files (x86).

Since my computer runs on Windows 7 x64 with 24Gb of RAM i installed SQL Server 2008 Express R2 x64.

Then i suspect that RCS tries to locate a 32 bits version of SQL Server.

I've resolved the issue by uninstalling SQL Server x64 and install SQL Server 2008 Express x86 and then RCS found the SQL Server and finished installing.

Then, my question becomes why doesn't RCS installs itself in 64 bits, and there are only one software to download?

0 Kudos
Joseph_O_Intel
Employee

Hey Gilbert

I am happy that you got the x86 Express Install to work with RCS.

Since the RCS software works with both x86 and x64 there is no need to have both installations.

The issue you encountered is probably a compatibility with SQL express.

0 Kudos
GVoye
Beginner

Hello Joe,

I have another issue.

When trying to access Settings... under Tools, i get the message "Failed to get service settings from RCS."

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Joseph_O_Intel
Employee

Hey Gilbert,

The error is most likely an issue with your WMI permission for the RCS. Inspect you SCS Installation guide for details. If you seem to have your permissions in order, open the RCS WMI permission to temporarily include "Everyone", restart the rcs service and see if the permissions are now in order.

Let me know what happens

Joe

0 Kudos