Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2837 Discussions

DHCP and DNS registrations with AMT

SWood7
Novice

I've noticed that our DHCP (Windows 2003) server has started to fill up with leases for system name HPsystem.mydomain.com. I panicked and thought I'd missed a step in my preparation. I have our DHCP configured to register DNS names dynamically but did not have it set to Dynamically update DNS records for clients that do not request updates. I checked that box and now it looks like my clients are starting to get registered correctly. I see registrations happening for HPSystem.mydomain.com as well as the computername.mydomain.com on the same IP. In DNS the comutername is showing registered now. Is this how it's supposed to happen?

Is there a document somewhere that details what happens in DHCP and ultimately in DNS to vPro enabled computers?

0 Kudos
29 Replies
SWood7
Novice

Matt,

I've been working with a system that I've assigned a static IP and forced not to look at DHCP at all to see how that works out. I'm still not able to provision the system however I'm not having DNS / DHCP problems either. It almost seems like the communication between the client and the SCCM server goes about half way and initiates the DHCP processes but then it stops due to authentication problems and then the DHCP / DNS records are left in limbo until the next IPCONFIG / REGISTERDNS or similar command.

I went to the HP site and downloaded the Intel LMS and SOL to see if that made any difference but alas no change except some new and different failures in the SCCM amtopmgr.log.

I tried adding a machine using the OOB wizard by manually entering the machine hash and the wizard ran through but nothing seems to have happened. I've still got only one OOB option in my SCCM console.

I'm scratching my head at this point.

0 Kudos
Matthew_R_Intel
Employee

In terms of your provisioning issue,

Are you seeing the following error in the amtopmgr.log...

During SCCM Management Controller Discovery

Error 0x80090308 returned by InitializeSecurityContext during follow up TLS handshaking with server.

**** Error 0x6fcb970 returned by ApplyControlToken

During SCCM attempt to Provision

Error 0x80090308 returned by InitializeSecurityContext during follow up TLS handshaking with server.

**** Error 0x261b948 returned by ApplyControlToken

If not, can you attach a full copy of your amtopmgr.log (from the start of provisioning to the failure)?

--Matt Royer

0 Kudos
SWood7
Novice

I'm seeing some ApplyControlToken hex errors but the numbers are not as exact as you mention. I'd love to add my amtopmgr.log file...how does one do that?

0 Kudos
Matthew_R_Intel
Employee

Well, when you creating a new post, you can attach a file... Can you just copy and paste the full ApplyControlToken error you are seeing?

--Matt Royer

0 Kudos
SWood7
Novice

There are so many places where the error occurs I'd rather just send the log.......lazy. I'll create a brand new post just for the log file.

0 Kudos
SWood7
Novice

Man, I can't find the 'insert attachment' capability in a new post.....where would I find the option?

0 Kudos
William_Y_Intel
Employee

Did you ever get an acceptable solution for dealing with your issue? Curious if any methods you could share for others that may be expereincing this problem.

0 Kudos
SWood7
Novice

I haven't yet gotten to the bottom of my DNS / DHCP issue yet, I'm still working on some pre-deployment requirements in our environment. Most of our workstations were named with an underscore "_" as part of the computer name and AMT will not function with this character in place so we're working on a method to rename all our systems first. In addition there appears to be an issue with 3.2.1 machines that were upgraded to 3.2.1 from an earlier BIOS. We're in the process of setting up a WS-TRAN server to work this issue. Once we get these issues solved, we'll move on to hopefully provisioning and investigating the DNS / DHCP issue!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm not as fluent in DHCP/DNS as the other posters, but we have never had issue with workstations pulling into DHCP and registering their workstation name. The newest hardware, HP dc7800, are pulling in with HPSystem, not their computer name. We've used the same process for all of our workstations, but this new hardware... that's something else!

There doesn't seem to be a resolution posted. That may mean that over the last two years, nothing has been found to edit the system's info to correct this issue.

The computer name pulls into Novell Zenworks to register the workstation object, but doesn't get read into DNS/DHCP. Was there EVER a resolution?

Thank you ~ Merlyn

0 Kudos