Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2827 Discussions

Intel Local Management service high CPU usage windows 2012 r2

ftikl
Beginner

High CPU usage on the process Intel Local Management service on start-up. If we stop it...the server is fine. Checked for Threats with Malwarebytes and ESET, but none. AMT is uninstalled. on the properties of the process it refers to windows\Vss\writers\ but i cant find any files in there.

Strangely nothing is on the startup as well, so i'm really concerned where is it coming from. My guess for now is a left over app...service.

please help.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MichaelA_Intel

Tikly

Please look in services and find. Stop the service and set it to "disabled" Intel Management and Security Application Local Management Service. Open an Admin command prompt and type the following:

SC delete LMS

This should remove from your system.

Regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
TPhan10
Beginner

I had the same problem on a new Dell XPS 13 (9360 Kaby Lake) laptop: the fan would run for extended periods and the chassis would get very warm, for no apparent reason.

I'm very angry over the hours I spent trying to find the cause. First off, Dell knows nothing - they just rely on installing "the latest Intel BIOS and drivers". Which I did, repeatedly, through 7 Aug 2017. And from web reports it seems that this LMS junkware has been causing the same problem for about ten years.

How is it possible for a company the size of Intel to still be sending this out? After a discovery period while I was realizing that a problem even existed, I found HWInfo showing both CPU cores at 90 degC !!! How many users are simply living with this absurd condition in their new high-end "Intel Inside" laptop? 90 deg C!! Ten years! Again - just incredible. You guys are the experts! You made all these chips!

In fact in my case the machine was about to go off as a gift. So if I hadn't realized and fixed the problem - late on the last possible night - the user would certainly have assumed it was normal, and I wouldn't have seen it again. Very, very angry.

As for the fix: I got into the Services list (with Admin privilege) and located "Intel Management and Security Application - Local Management Service". Opening its properties I stopped it and set its startup type to "Disabled". I should have, but did not, also delete LMS.exe.

I'll see if the problem reoccurs, as it has for some other folks. That means have the machine brought back and check it out myself, with apologies to the new owner. Terrible piece of work, Intel driver team.

MichaelA_Intel

Elfimo

Thank you for the feedback. We're looking into this and will work on duplicating this issue. We need to confirm what operating system you're running. Are you also running Windows Server 2012 R2 on your Dell XPS 13? If not, what OS is running on it.

Regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
RChis
Beginner

3 years later and no fix, "thank you", Intel!

Same issue on Lenovo X390 with i7 8565u CPU, Windows 10 Pro.

Thank you Michael Alvarez for the solution!

0 Kudos
TreeShaker
Beginner

5 years on and on my Dell XPS 13 still the same issue, every boot up after some time the fan starts spinning up, go into processes and there's lms.exe helping itself to the processor and doesn't stop until I kill the process. Latest drivers from Dell.

I wonder how many others of our 250 laptops in our organisation are experiencing the same issue, perhaps I should just block lms from running or uninstall Intel Management Engine from them all... Perhaps I'll just script the service to be disabled each day across the fleet.

Meanwhile Dell and Intel are doing nothing.

0 Kudos
GDarn1
Beginner

Same problem happened after a Intel Management Engine Components Installer update on a Dell XPS 13 9300 notebook with Windows 10 Pro version 1909. Fixed by doing a system restart.

0 Kudos