Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2827 Discussions

Making disk redirection work in the Manageability Developer Tool Kit v0.6.0937.2.

idata
Employee

Hi all,

I am using the Intel® Manageability Developer Tool Kit to test my options in remotely managing Dell OptiPlex 760 machines.

I have no problems in configuring the Intel® Management Engine BIOS Extension (MEBx) settings in the OptiPlex 760 machines and I am able to use the Manageability Commander Tool from the kit to connect to the OptiPlex 760 machine and to take control over it remotely.

The OptiPlex 760, running a fully updated Windows XP SP3 environment, has been provided with a properly installed, properly started and properly connected Manageability Outpost Service.

Hitting the "Take Control" button of the already connected machine opens the Manageability Terminal Tool window and I succeed in performing all the usual options under the "Remote Command" and "Serial Agent" menubar options.

However, I am unable to enable the "Redirect Active" item under the "Disk Redirect" menubar option. Whatever I do or whatever I configure, the "Redirect Active" item always stays greyed out when using v0.6.0937.2 of the Tool Kit. Other v0.6.0x versions of the kit perform exactly the same: the "Redirect Active" item stays greyed out and disk redirection is impossible.

When I use v0.45 of the Tool Kit (then named the Intel® AMT Developer Tool Kit), disk redirection is possible! The "Redirect Active" item is not greyed out anymore and disk redirection can be activated by selecting it. With no changes at all on the OptiPlex 760 side.

I definitely would prefer running the most recent version of the kit. Therefore, can anyone please point me to the information that could help solve this problem?

TIA.

Kind regards,

JJ

(from Belgium)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Employee

Hi all,

some more testing has revealed that using the Manageability Network Defense Tool from the Manageability Developer Tool Kit v0.6.0937.2 instead of the Manageability Commander Tool *does* allows me to engage disk redirection!

Start the Manageability Terminal Tool from the Control tab of the Manageability Network Defense Tool by clicking on the Control Console button. This instance of the Terminal Tool is able to start disk redirection by clicking on the "Redirect Active" item that now is no longer greyed out.

I am baffled as to why starting the same Manageability Terminal Tool from within the Manageability Network Defense Tool or from within the Manageability Commander Tool results in the Terminal Tool behaving differently. Is this by design?

TIA for your reactions.

Kind regards,

JJ

(from Belgium)

0 Kudos