Items with no label
3335 Discussions

D435 pink IR dots in RGB image

rtanai
Beginner

pink_dots.pngfrom_phone.jpgHas this occurred to anyone before. The D435 is placed about 20 cm from the surface. I see pink dots similar to the IR pattern in the RGB image. I captured an image from my phone and the dots don't show. Is there a problem with my D435?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

You could try using a Visual Preset called 'Remove IR Pattern'. This removes the dot pattern whilst having much less impact on the image than turning the IR Emitter off. That is likely a better option than trying to use a physical filter on the color camera's lens.

1.png

If you purchased the camera from Intel's online Click store and choose to return it for a replacement, the 400 Series cameras are governed by the return terms in the link below.

https://click.intel.com/terms-of-use?_ga=2.64751983.1349213054.1555395142-2131590948.1488822534&elq_cid=1206596

If you did not buy the camera from the Click store then it should be returned to the retailer that you purchased it form.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Could you confirm please that the image from your phone was taken whilst the camera was streaming? So the dots were on the RGB image on your computer but were not visible on the phone image that you took at the same time? If the dots are on the PC screen but not on your phone at the same time, this would suggest that the dots are not a visible phenomena (projected dots can sometimes be seen clearly if the room is not well lit, like in the image below).

1.jpg

As a first step, I would recommend left-clicking on the blue box beside the 'Emitter Enabled' option to turn it to black, signifying that the emitter is turned off, and see if the dots disappear. If they are gone, it would suggest that the camera's IR projector is the source of the dots. If the dots are still present whilst the emitter is turned off, it will suggest that something else is causing them.

0 Kudos
rtanai
Beginner

The picture from the phone was taken at the same time. Toggling the IR emitter as you recommended, removed the pink dots. Does the D435 really behave like this or should I get it replaced??pink_dots_no_emitter.PNGpink_dots3.PNG

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I would normally expect the dot pattern to be confined to the IR image rather than appearing on the RGB one. It is certainly abnormal behavior.

I note that your camera is registered as using USB 3.2. There have been a small number of reported issues with the 400 Series and USB 3.2 in the past, especially when using USB 3.2 hubs. Those users found that they did not have problems when using USB 3.1.

If you are using Linux, you could also try patching the video4linux backend.

0 Kudos
rtanai
Beginner

I was able to reproduce the same pink dots in the RGB image in both ubuntu and windows 10 realsense-viewer. It also occurred when using a usb 2.0 hub when connecting the realsense camera. The usb port is not the problem. There seems to be a problem with the IR cut-off filter of my device. How do I get a replacement for this product? Or is it possible to attach a filter externally that would not affect the quality of the images?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

You could try using a Visual Preset called 'Remove IR Pattern'. This removes the dot pattern whilst having much less impact on the image than turning the IR Emitter off. That is likely a better option than trying to use a physical filter on the color camera's lens.

1.png

If you purchased the camera from Intel's online Click store and choose to return it for a replacement, the 400 Series cameras are governed by the return terms in the link below.

https://click.intel.com/terms-of-use?_ga=2.64751983.1349213054.1555395142-2131590948.1488822534&elq_cid=1206596

If you did not buy the camera from the Click store then it should be returned to the retailer that you purchased it form.

0 Kudos