Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Troubles in multiple sensors recognition on Windows 10

VBian
Beginner

I am currently integrating sensors D415 in a scanning system and having issues with sensors recognition on Windows 10.

The system is composed by:

- 4 intel D415 sensors (firmware version 5.11.15.00) connected to a powered hub (by means of cables USB 3.1 C to USB 3.0 A)

- laptop running Windows 10 connected to the industrial hub (by means of a cable USB 3.0 type B to USB 3.0 type A).

The industrial hub has 4 ports USB 3.0 type A SuperSpeed and 1 USB type B.

For my application I am using SDK 2 (librealsense version: 2.22.0).

Often (almost every time), at the start up of the system, sensors are not recognized and they have to be unplugged and plugged again to the hub one by one. In that way sometimes they are seen by the Intel Realsense Viewer and can be used. Otherwise, the system needs to be rebooted.

Other times, on machine boot up, a warning message is shown on the Intel Realsense Viewer interface (Hardware Notification - RT IC2 Config error). Even if the warning appears, they seem to work. However, it can happen that later on, during the usage, even if the configuration is not changed, one of them is not seen anymore and it cannot be used. In order to make it works again, it is necessary to reboot the laptop.

I installed also the Windows® 10 UWP Driver for Intel® RealSense™ D400 Product Family.

Should I configure specific parameters on the laptop?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Unless you are working on a project that needs Microsoft's Universal Windows Platform (UWP) to communicate with UWP-compatible software or hardware, you do not need this driver. An example of UWP use would be communication between a RealSense camera and a Microsoft HoloLens headset.

When it comes to powered USB hubs, expensive industrial ones are not necessarily a better solution for RealSense cameras than an inexpensive hub. There have been a couple of past reports that 400 Series cameras had problems with modern USB 3.2 industrial hubs, whereas a USB 3.1 hub worked fine. In Intel's multiple camera white paper, they tested with a 4-port powered AmazonBasics budget hub. The model used is in the link below.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DQFGH80

Sometimes when RealSense cameras fail to be detected after boot but work after a USB unplug-replug, it may be because of a BIOS setting. Can you check please if your laptop's BIOS has the ability to be set to 'xHCI' mode please?

https://github.com/IntelRealSense/librealsense/issues/1615#issuecomment-385585630

0 Kudos
VBian
Beginner

Thank you for your very clear explanation. I will buy and test the hub you suggested. In the meanwhile, I tried to set the 'xCHI' mode to enabled but apparently my laptop's BIOS doesn't have that ability.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I look forward to further feedback from you once you have the AmazonBasics hub. Good luck!

0 Kudos
VBian
Beginner

Hi Martin, unfortunately we tested the hub but the situation is unchanged. In attachment some logs that I hope could help. We also changed computer and set the BIOS parameter you suggested. Any idea? Thanks in advance

0 Kudos