Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Intel Media Server 2015 SDK for Linux (OpenCL)

Zeshan_A_
Beginner

Hi All,

our company interested to use the "Intel OpenCL SDK " for performance . I download the the  Intel® Media Server Studio 2015 –Driver, SDK for Linux* and install on my system.

My system specification: Intel i7 Core processor with built-in Intel HD graphics card. operating system Ubuntu 12.04 x86_64 bit.

lshw -c video -> Beschreibung: VGA compatible controller
       Produkt: 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
       Hersteller: Intel Corporation
       Physische ID: 2
       Bus-Informationen: pci@0000:00:02.0
       Version: 09
       Breite: 64 bits
       Takt: 33MHz
       Fähigkeiten: vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
       Konfiguration: driver=i915 latency=0

according to Release Note,  Intel HD driver and OpenCL SDK is included in this package, I read the different numbers of Release note about OpenCL SDK, it is very complicated to understand , which version of OS and SDK  should i used for OpenCL  implemention.

I tried to  run the Intel Media Server  sample code, it's compiled  but for execution it's required the   lib file :

/Media_server/mediasdk-tutorials-0.0.3/_build$ ./simple_session
libva info: VA-API version 0.35.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: User requested driver 'iHD'
libva info: Trying to open /opt/intel/mediasdk/lib64/iHD_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_32
libva error: /opt/intel/mediasdk/lib64/iHD_drv_video.so init failed
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 1
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
  what():  std::bad_alloc
Unrecognized device ID 0166Abgebrochen (Speicherabzug geschrieben)

Q1->  i have installed the right version for OpenCL implemention.

Q2-> How i execute the sample code of Media server and OpenCL .

Q2-> Intel provide any up-to-date  document for understand the OpenCL implementation  requirements.

" i am new on Intel software , may those are  basic Question".

Best Regards,

Zeshan.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Zeshan, 

On the product details page, you can find more info about the OS and platform support.

Hardware Requirements

Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-128x v3 and v4 product family with C226 chipset

• Intel Xeon Processor E3-1284 v3
  • Intel Xeon Processor E3-1285 v3
  • Intel Xeon Processor E3-1285L v3 and v4
  • Intel Xeon Processor E3-1286 v3
  • Intel Xeon Processor E3-1286L v3

4th and 5th generation Intel® Core™ processors with Intel Iris™ Pro and HD Graphics, and Intel® Quick Sync Video.

Operating Systems

• Microsoft Windows Server* 2012
  • 64-bit Windows* 8 (development only)
  • Microsoft Visual Studio* C++ 2010 with Service Pack 1 (Installer)
  • CentOS* 7.1
  • SUSE Linux Enterprise Server* (SLES) 12
  • Other Linux* distributions through Generic OS model (Media Server Studio generally works on these OSs, however support is not provided for Linux* distributions other than Gold OS)

I see you have 3rd generation system, which is not officially supported. By that I mean, any releases available publicly has not been tested on 3rd generation processor and any new feature has not been added for 3rd gen or any bug fixes will not happen on unsupported platform.This is a possible reason that you are seeing issue in running tutorial. In case, you want to give it a shot then I would recommend this -  

Simple way to check if Media Server Studio is installed properly is mentioned in the 4th question "How can I check if Media Server Studio is installed correctly for my OS?"  of FAQ. Please try to run pre-compiled binaries to verify installation. Also, please make sure you have booted into right kernel. From the tutorial o/p, it looks like to kernel issue. Please check the steps mentioned in getting started guide for the pre-requisites and installation. 

For OpenCL queries, please check the documentation or FAQ here, post your questions on OpenCL forum

Thanks,
Surbhi

0 Kudos