Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Deploy Media Server CentOS

Andrew_B_2
Beginner

I am wanting to benchmark a Intel chipset for performance with MSSDK.  I have the MSSDK installed on my development laptop and decided to copy across the sample_decode_drm application to my test PC to use as the tool to benchmark performance.  I have installed the libva-1.3.1 RPM that is bundled with the MSSDK on the test PC and I can now launch sample_decode_drm however it fails when running:

./sample_decode_drm h264 -i ~/Videos/big.h264

Return on error: error code -3,	/home/andy/Downloads/MediaSamples_Linux_5.0.1604371.71/samples/sample_decode/src/pipeline_decode.cpp	164

Return on error: error code 1,	/home/andy/Downloads/MediaSamples_Linux_5.0.1604371.71/samples/sample_decode/src/sample_decode.cpp	368

Do I need to build the kernel or am I just missing something in setup?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Andrew, 

Can you give us more details about the system - What OS are you using, processor information, graphics device, Which Media Server Studio Version? 
It might be possible that Media Server Studio didn't install properly. Did you check the getting started present in the package & also on web(Media Server Studio R3.1 Release)? It has a detailed step by step method on installation. Can you please cross check if you have followed all the steps?
Also building the samples again using build.pl should also remove any earlier issues if present. 

Thanks,
Surbhi

0 Kudos
Sravanthi_K_Intel

Also, are you running as root (not sudo, but as root)?

0 Kudos
Andrew_B_2
Beginner

I am using 2015R4 running CentOS 7 on a Celeron J1900.

lspci -nn
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Graphics & Display [8086:0f31] (rev 0e)

I have built the patched kernel using the scripts provided on an i7-4500U development laptop and installed on the Celeron box and installed the RPMs for the CentOS in the SDK folder.  When I try to run sample_decode_drm I get an illegal instruction.  Do I need to build the kernel on the Celeron box?

0 Kudos
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Andrew, 

At present, we don't support Celeron system due to which you are running into this issue.
You can find the list of system we support in release notes- https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/managed/64/01/media_server_studio_essentials_release_notes_linux.pdf

Thanks,
Surbhi

0 Kudos
Andrew_B_2
Beginner

OK - will it be supported?  I have tested on the same system in Windows with INDE and had presumed Linux would be the same.  I had thought support for Intel HD Graphics was also available for Linux as described on https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-media-server-studio/details as it states:

• Hardware:  Intel® Xeon® processor E3-1200 v3 product family and 4th Generation Intel Core™ Processor-based Platforms with Intel Iris™, Iris Pro and Intel HD Graphics.

However the link you supplied states Intel HD Graphics 4200+

0 Kudos
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee

Media Server Studio do not have any plans to support Celeron at this point of time. Thanks for pointing out the link with hardware details, we will try to make it clear and add more details. Currently the supported systems are - 

• Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-128x v3 with Intel C226 Chipset:
    • Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1284 v3
    • Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1285 v3
    • Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1285L v3
    • Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1286 v3
    • Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1286L v3
  • 4th Generation Intel Core™ Processors with Intel® Iris™ Pro Graphics, Intel Iris Graphics or Intel HD Graphics 4200+ Series (chipset compatibility is usually not an issue for Core™ processors.)
    >>Yes, 4th generation Intel CoreTM processors with Intel HD graphics 4200+ are supported. 

Yes, Media SDK Client which is a part of INDE do support selected SKUs of Intel Celeron processor.   

I hope that clears the system support for Media Server Studio. Let me know if you have any more questions. 

-Surbhi

0 Kudos