Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

IMSDK Linux - installation issue

bbright
Beginner

Hi,

I've just runned the installation script to install IMSDK Linux. As you can see, it seems to be OK.

$ sudo ./install_media.sh 
INFO... Install on Ubuntu ...
INFO... Installing New Driver...
INFO... The default media driver is renderless API, do you want to use X11 backend?
press 'y' to use X11 backend, otherwise by default(drm backend, renderless)
INFO... Renderless DRM backend enabled!
INFO... MediaSDK installed successfully in /opt/intel/mediasdk!
INFO... Do you want to install KMD?
press 'y' to confirm, otherwise cancelled.y
INFO... Original i915.ko backuped in kmd_backup/i915.ko.2013-12-31_122933
INFO... Trying to install 3.2.42 kmd...
INFO... Trying to install 3.8.0-23-generic kmd...
INFO... ./kmd/binary/xcode-ubuntu-12.04-k3.8-rel/i915.ko installed successufully.
INFO... After reboot, you can 'lsmod' to identify whether i915.ko loaded. if not, you have to rebuild kernel by yourself with patched files (kdm/source) in this package.
INFO... Kernel module updated successfully!
INFO... Package installation Done.

However, I can't manage to run sample binaries :

./sample_encode_x11 h264 -i stream_1024x428_24.yuv -w 1024 -h 428 -o test.264 -hw
libva info: VA-API version 0.34.0
Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0".
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns -1
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
  what():  std::bad_alloc
Aborted (core dumped)

./sample_encode_drm h264 -i stream_1024x428_24.yuv -w 1024 -h 428 -o test.264 -hw
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
  what():  std::bad_alloc
Aborted (core dumped)

Do you have any advice ?

Regards

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

There are several things you can check:

• Are you running on supported hardware?  (Basically  3rd Generation Core (Ivy Bridge) or higher (or Xeon E3-1285 V3)
  • Can you see an Intel VGA adapter with lspci -nn?
  • Do you have a supported install configuration (Correct kernel level for your processor, libdrm 2.4.45?)
  • Does lsmod show the i915 module is loaded?
  • Is the /dev/dri/card0 file there?  Is it the Intel GPU if you have more than 1 on your system?  
  • Is the user running the test a member of the video group?  Do permissions allow this user to open /dev/dri/card0?
  • Do you still see this error running as root?

There are many more details in the release notes. Installation is still a work in progress but for now the very specific configurations described in the release notes are required.

Regards,

Jeff

0 Kudos
bbright
Beginner

Hi Jeff,

This particular point solved my issue :

Is the user running the test a member of the video group?  Do permissions allow this user to open /dev/dri/card0?

Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
tycosp
Beginner

Has anyone successfully installed on SUSE 11 SP3 ?

0 Kudos