Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Intel HD Graphics 2000 H.264 Encoder problem

steven8274
Beginner

My Windows computer use an 'Intel HD Graphics 2000' video adaptor, which integrated with i3-2100 CPU.It should has H.264 encoding ability(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video), but I can't use it neither from ffmpeg nor from MediaSDK sample programme.When I use it's H.264 hardware encoder from MediaSDK encoder sample programme, it met error at the method 'Query' of 'MFXVideoENCODE', which returned 'MFX_ERR_UNSUPPORTED' error number.My input arguments of MediaSDK encoder sample programme are like:'h264 -i output_480p.yuv -o output.h264 -w 640 -h 480 -b 10000 -f 30 -u quality -d3d -hw'.If I change the last argument '-hw' to '-sw', everything goes well.

I found the software 'MediaEspresso 7.5' can use the video adaptor's H.264 encoding ability, since when I switch on it's hardware encoding option, the GPU's loading will be high when it converting mp4 files.So the GPU must have H.264 encoding ability.

So what's wrong with ffmpeg's 'h264_qsv' encoder and MediaSDK's encoding sample?

Any advice would be appreciated!Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Using windows 10?  Your HD2000 graphics is discontinued and not supported.   All you have is the Microsoft generic graphics driver, which lacks performance and features.

Time to upgrade your old hardware to something that is supported.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]

0 Kudos
steven8274
Beginner

@AlHill Thanks for your quick reply!If my driver is too old to open the graphic's feather, why the 'MediaEspresso' can use it's encoding ability?Besides 'MediaEspresso', the Desktop control software 'SunLogin' can use the graphic card's hardware encoding ability as well.

My enviroment is:

Operating System:

版本 Windows 10 专业版
版本号 20H2
安装日期 ?2020/?8/?3
操作系统内部版本 19042.1110
体验 Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz 3.10 GHz

Graphic card driver Version:9.17.10.4459

0 Kudos
AthiraM_Intel

Hi,

Sorry to inform you that , the hardware you used is not supported by Intel Media SDK.

Please refer the below link for release notes of Media SDK:

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/download/media-sdk-windows-release-notes.html

From the page 4 in Release notes, you could find the system requirements.

If you have any further issue, please let us know.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
steven8274
Beginner

@AthiraM_Intel Thanks for your reply!So, my processor is of the 2nd generation?If I want to use the grahic card's hardware encoding abililty,I should use 'libva'?How can I use it on Windows?

0 Kudos
AthiraM_Intel

Hi,

Sorry for the delay.

libVA is for Linux only. libVA is an intel implementation of VAAPI. It is only used in Linux, and it must be combined with graphic driver in the Linux kernel, only libVA library doesn’t work.

Please find the below link for more information:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_Acceleration_API

Thanks.

0 Kudos
steven8274
Beginner

Thanks for explanations on 'libVA'! So, is there a way that I can use my HD Graphics 2000 card's encoding ability on Windows?Since I found some programme on windows can use it!

0 Kudos
AthiraM_Intel

Hi,

Sorry to inform you that, we don’t support this platform as it is very old. It means Intel graphic driver stopped supporting the hardware codec.

Hope we answered your questions. Can we close this thread?

Thanks

0 Kudos
steven8274
Beginner
0 Kudos
AthiraM_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for the confirmation. If you need any additional information, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Thanks

0 Kudos