Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

The speed of encode with hardware acceleration and software is no difference

Yixue_J_
Beginner

Dear friends :

I downloaded intel media sdk for client 2014 from intel website and installed successfully,and then i downloaded a sample code called encode_sample and installed successfully, finally i opened  the sample code in vs2010 and compile  link normally. But I meet a very  strange problem when i run the sample_code.exe :The truth is  i want to encode a 1000 frames  yuv video with h264.I typed two  commands  in cmd.exe as follow: 

1:sample_encode.exe h264 -i football.yuv -o my264 -w 1280 -h 720   

2:sample_encode.exe h264 -hw -i football.yux -o my264 -w 1280 -h 720

assume the video is exist and ignore the syntax error, in other word these command can execute successfully.

My problem is about the  spend  time of execution of the two commands,they are both spent 30 seconds and at the same time the cpu occupancy  are also 90%. By the way My OS is win7(32bit) with DirectX and Windows SDK 7.0A and 8.1 and the CPU is Intel celeron CPU G16102@2.60GHz  with the up-to-date driver.As we known that parameter -hw is hardware acceleration ,why the time it spent  is same as software .Please illustrate some detailed  theory to me  or tell me how to accelerate with hardware !

thank you  very much 

waitting online

Yixue Jiang

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Anthony_P_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I do not recognize that particular Intel(r) Celeron(r) Processor, however many processors do not contain Intel(r) Quick Sync Video (and do not have hardware encode capability).  The capabilities of processors can be found at http://ark.intel.com.

If your processor is "Intel® Celeron® Processor G1610 (2M Cache, 2.60 GHz)" then I believe you will see that "Intel® Quick Sync Video" and several other Graphics technologies are not included in this processor. http://ark.intel.com/products/71072/Intel-Celeron-Processor-G1610-2M-Cache-2_60-GHz?q=G1610

If you feel your platform should have encode capability, you can send the output of the "mediasdk_system_analyzer_32.exe" application that is part of the Media SDK 2014 for Clients package located at <install_dir>\tools\mediasdk_sys_analyzer and I'll be glad to research behavior based on that information.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Anthony_P_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I do not recognize that particular Intel(r) Celeron(r) Processor, however many processors do not contain Intel(r) Quick Sync Video (and do not have hardware encode capability).  The capabilities of processors can be found at http://ark.intel.com.

If your processor is "Intel® Celeron® Processor G1610 (2M Cache, 2.60 GHz)" then I believe you will see that "Intel® Quick Sync Video" and several other Graphics technologies are not included in this processor. http://ark.intel.com/products/71072/Intel-Celeron-Processor-G1610-2M-Cache-2_60-GHz?q=G1610

If you feel your platform should have encode capability, you can send the output of the "mediasdk_system_analyzer_32.exe" application that is part of the Media SDK 2014 for Clients package located at <install_dir>\tools\mediasdk_sys_analyzer and I'll be glad to research behavior based on that information.

0 Kudos
Yixue_J_
Beginner

Tony:

I am sorry ,i fotgot the important information ,  The results of running tool  is :

The following versions of Media SDK API are supported by platform/driver:

Version Target  Supported       Dec     Enc
        1.0     HW      Yes             X
        1.0     SW      Yes             X       X
        1.1     HW      Yes             X
        1.1     SW      Yes             X       X
        1.3     HW      Yes             X
        1.3     SW      Yes             X       X
        1.4     HW      Yes             X
        1.4     SW      Yes             X       X
        1.5     HW      Yes             X
        1.5     SW      Yes             X       X
        1.6     HW      Yes             X
        1.6     SW      Yes             X       X
        1.7     HW      Yes             X
        1.7     SW      Yes             X       X
        1.8     HW      Yes             X
        1.8     SW      Yes             X       X

Graphics Devices:
        Name                                         Version             State
        Intel(R) HD Graphics                         10.18.10.3496       Active

System info:
        CPU:    Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU G1610 @ 2.60GHz
Installed Media SDK packages (be patient...processing takes some time):

Analysis complete... [press ENTER]

According to above ,Can i use hardware acceleration with my cpu directly or download something else to support this function?

thank you very much 

Yixue Jiang

0 Kudos
Anthony_P_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Sorry, but your hardware will not support the Intel Quick Sync Video feature. 

0 Kudos
Yixue_J_
Beginner

Hi Tony:

I had resolved my problem according to you advice.Indeed,There is an  unsupported function in my cpu. I  move sample code to another pc with i7 processor.The problem is inexistent. And one morthing ,What 's that Dec and Enc filed means  in the results of  running tool mediasdk_sys_analyzer.exe ? please give me some  detail about it!

Regards

Yixue Jiang 

0 Kudos
Anthony_P_Intel
Employee

Hi,

The tool reports ability to "Decode" and "Encode" H.264 content.  Your processor supports accelerated decoding of encoded content.

0 Kudos