Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.
3056 Discussions

Using Intel Media SDK over Windows Remote Desktop connection

Edmond_W
Novice

Dear Sir / Madam,

I 'm using Intel Media SDK 2019R1 and I complied simple_2_decode solution inside media-tutorial-0.0.4 using Visual Studio 2013

I found that when I run the following command line on my local PC

simple_decode.exe -hw jellyfish-3-mbps-hd-h264.264 output.yuv

The program can run properly.

But, if I run this command on a remote PC via Remote Desktop connection, I got the following error message:

Unsupported feature/library load error. src\simple_decode.cpp 112

(This is the error message of this function call sts = mfxDEC.QueryIOSurf(&mfxVideoParams, &Request);)

This remote PC is using CPU i7-9700 and Intel UHD Graphics 630.

So, I would like to ask whether Intel Media SDK (hardware acceleration) supports running over windows remote desktop connection or not.

I think this issue would be similar to https://community.intel.com/t5/Media-Intel-oneAPI-Video/Using-Media-SDK-samples-over-remote-desktop-RDP/m-p/921463 which dated back to 2011 and I don't know whether the latest Intel Media SDK has workaround on this issue or not

Thanks,
Edmond

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Edmond_W
Novice

Hi @Luis_at_Intel 

Thanks for your reply.

After updating the display driver of the remote PC (Intel UHD Graphics 630) to the latest version, Intel Media SDK (with hardware acceleration) can now run over Remote Desktop Connection.

Thanks,

Edmond

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Luis_at_Intel

Hi @Edmond_W ,

Thanks for reaching out. I did a quick test on one of my systems here (has an Intel® Celeron®CPU N3350 with Intel® HD Graphics 500) remotely connected with Remote Desktop Connection and the decode_sample.exe seems to run as expected.

sample_decode.exe h264 -i test_stream.264 -o output.yuv -hw
Decoding Sample Version 8.4.27.25

Input video     AVC
Output format   NV12
Input:
  Resolution    176x96
  Crop X,Y,W,H  0,0,176,96
Output:
  Resolution    176x96
Frame rate      30.00
Memory type             system
MediaSDK impl           hw
MediaSDK version        1.32

Decoding started
Frame number:  101, fps: 111.638, fread_fps: 0.000, fwrite_fps: 4265.113
Decoding finished

I can see there is hardware acceleration when remotely connected with RDC so Intel® Media SDK seems to support it. If you run the decode_sample.exe on such machine directly (without RDC), does the sample execute correctly?

An observation from your command, please try specifying the codec (h264) see if that makes any difference:

simple_decode.exe h264 -i jellyfish-3-mbps-hd-h264.264 -o output.yuv -hw

Regards,

Luis

0 Kudos
Edmond_W
Novice

Hi @Luis_at_Intel 

Thanks for your reply.

After updating the display driver of the remote PC (Intel UHD Graphics 630) to the latest version, Intel Media SDK (with hardware acceleration) can now run over Remote Desktop Connection.

Thanks,

Edmond

0 Kudos