Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

color conversion: VPP vs. IPP for RGB to NV12

richard_s_2
Beginner

What are the trade-offs for using VPP vs. IPP for RGB to NV12 color conversion?  I am currently using IPP but am unsure what the implication would be for switching to VPP. Is VPP a GPU implementation of color conversion on the GPU's EUs?

From the VPP tutorial sample #6, it seems that VPP can save memory copies by keeping all execution on the GPU:
"VPPParams.IOPattern = MFX_IOPATTERN_IN_VIDEO_MEMORY | MFX_IOPATTERN_OUT_VIDEO_MEMORY;" 
That seems to be a big difference vs. IPP color conversion where it is necessary to copy data to the CPU before doing a color conversion.  Is my understanding correct?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Anthony_P_Intel
Employee

Yes, it seems you have understood the advantage well.  VPP can also take advantage of video-centric processing like scaling, 'detail' and 'denoise', allowing the CPU to be free for other tasks.

-Tony

0 Kudos
richard_s_2
Beginner

Thanks!  That clarifies it a lot.

0 Kudos
Chuck_De_Sylva
Beginner

Richard,

I assume that you are referring to RGB32 correct? Because VPP RGB24 to NV12 color conversion method is deprecated. We do not recommend using it and do not plan to implement workarounds to support it.

- Chuck

0 Kudos
richard_s_2
Beginner

Chuck: yes, RGB32 is what I am looking for.  Thanks!

0 Kudos