Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12606 Discussions

Communication btw two NIOS systems via Ethernet

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I need to establish communication between two NIOS systems using ethernet. I will be using NIOS II dev board cycloneII.  

I did try out the web_server, ftp server/client examples which shows communication between board-host pc.  

I am not too familiar with networking. http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif  

Can anyone suggest how can I implement or modify the existing code to make two nios systems communicate directly via ethernet(and I can see the results on NIOS II IDE console)?? 

Any help is appreciated. 

Thank you, 

Mona.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think a better example, for what you&#39;d like to do, is SSS (Simple Socket Server). It sets up a basic telnet-like server. 

Your options are numberous, with respect to how your communication protocol should work. For a simple master slave setup, your slave would be running the "telnet-like" server, and your master would connect to it when it needs to send a command. The slave would then respond to whatever command the master just sent. The format and content of the messages you pass is up to you. 

You need to specify how you&#39;d like the communication to function, between the two processors, and read some literature on sockets-based programming, before you can really move forward with this. 

Cheers, 

- slacker
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks slacker, 

I am to use two seperate development boards for the application. So I took ur advice to use SSS example. 

I have modified the code to suit the client application. 

I am keeping static IP addresses for both server and client. 

when Client program is run on the board, it tries to connect to the server, and when the connection is accepted by the server, server sends out the data to the client, I am not using the LED functions in there. 

I have not yet tried it on board,cuz I am still waiting on the second development board to arrive..!! 

please comment. 

Thanks,  

Mona.
0 Kudos