Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12409 Discussions

Convert binary ( integer and fraction) from vhdl to decimal in C code,negative value

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

HI, 

I learned from this link (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15767758/correct-algorithm-to-convert-binary-floating-point-1101-...) that I could convert a binary (consists of both integer and fraction) to decimal values. 

I am wondering if this code can be used to check for negative value? I did try with a binary string of 11111101.11 and it gives the output of 253.75... 

I have two questions: 

What are the modifications I need to do in order to read a negative value? 

I know that I can do the bit shift (as below) to check if the msb is 1, if it is 1, I know it is negative value... 

if (14bit_data & 0x2000) //if true, it is negative value 

The issue is, since it involves fraction part (but not only integer), it confused me a bit if the method still works... 

If the binary number is originally not in string format, is there any way I could convert it to string? The binary number is originally fed from a fpga block say, 14 bits, with msb as the sign bit, the following 6 bits are the magnitude for integer and the last 6 bits are the magnitude for fractional part. 

Any idea please? Thank you in advance
0 Kudos
0 Replies