Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12455 Discussions

FreeRtos Interrupt Handling Mechanisim on NiosII

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

I`m trying to perform a benchmark to get an idea how much overhead FreeRTOS brings when compared to Altera library,roughly. 

For this purpose i have implemented two tests which uses timer interrupts. 

Test 1: uses alt_alarm_start to start an alarm timer and toggles a output pin when alt_avalon_timer_sc_irq enters. And timeout_pulse is enabled in fgpda hw desing so I know when interrupt occurs and when its handled. Measuring via scope yields 2.02us 

Test 2: uses xTimerCreate start an timer and toggles a output pin when alt_irq_handler enters. It`s being called from port_asm.S. And timeout_pulse is enabled in fgpda hw desing so I know when interrupt occurs and when its handled. Measuring via scope yields 1.27us 

Problem is I would expect that test1 would have significant smaller delta when compared to Test2 due to FreeRTOS overhead but apparently results do indicate opposite. So I thought may be alt_irq_handler is too late to start of measurement.  

Do you have any idea where are interrupts first handled when FreeRtos is present ? 

Thanks in advance
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi again 

Apparently I have a mistake in my code. After I corrected that , I can observe  

test2 =2.10us