Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12455 Discussions

I get a big noise when I echo the audio data from microphone

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I designed a audio system in Qsys. I read the fifo data from the microphone input and write it to the audio write fifo. Although I can hear the microphone echo, it also generate a very big noise. I can't figure out why it will generate so much noise. Dose anyone have any idea why it is happened? I am not sure the setting of the audio codec is correct or not. Another problem is that how can I generate the sound with specific frequency? 

I think the design in Qsys is correct. I generate the correct clock frequency to the audio and av_config core. I am using de2-115 board. 

I use these functions :  

alt_up_audio_read_fifo  

alt_up_audio_write_fifo  

Here is my c code to achieve the echo system. 

int main(){ alt_up_audio_dev * audio_dev = alt_up_audio_open_dev ("/dev/audio"); alt_up_av_config_dev* av_config_dev = alt_up_av_config_open_dev("/dev/audio_and_video_config"); /* used for audio record/playback */ unsigned int l_buf ; unsigned int r_buf ; // initialize the audio core alt_up_av_config_write_audio_cfg_register(av_config_dev, 0x00, 0b000011000); alt_up_av_config_write_audio_cfg_register(av_config_dev, 0x01, 0b000011000); alt_up_av_config_write_audio_cfg_register(av_config_dev, 0x02, 0b000111100); alt_up_av_config_write_audio_cfg_register(av_config_dev, 0x03, 0b000111100); alt_up_av_config_write_audio_cfg_register(av_config_dev, 0x04, 0b000010100); alt_up_av_config_write_audio_cfg_register(av_config_dev, 0x05, 0b000000110); alt_up_av_config_write_audio_cfg_register(av_config_dev, 0x06, 0b000000000); alt_up_av_config_write_audio_cfg_register(av_config_dev, 0x07, 0b001001101); alt_up_av_config_write_audio_cfg_register(av_config_dev, 0x08, 0b000000000); alt_up_av_config_write_audio_cfg_register(av_config_dev, 0x09, 0b000000001); while(1) { // read audio buffer alt_up_audio_read_fifo (audio_dev, &(r_buf), 80, ALT_UP_AUDIO_RIGHT); alt_up_audio_read_fifo (audio_dev, &(l_buf), 80, ALT_UP_AUDIO_LEFT); // write audio buffer alt_up_audio_write_fifo (audio_dev, &(r_buf), 80, ALT_UP_AUDIO_RIGHT); alt_up_audio_write_fifo (audio_dev, &(l_buf), 80, ALT_UP_AUDIO_LEFT); } } }
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I would first suggest that you figure out if your problem is in audio input or output. Generate a synthetic audio signal and see if it comes out clean. Feed a test signal to the audio input and look at the data read.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for the reply! 

How can I generate a synthetic audio signal? Since I don't have the line in cable... 

I try to do this, but it doesn't work... I think this two lines will generate the sound of "l_buf = 30000"? 

unsigned int l_buf = 30000; 

alt_up_audio_write_fifo (audio_dev, &(l_buf), 80, ALT_UP_AUDIO_LEFT); 

Many Thanks
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Lookup table with a sine wave in it.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

A simple counter that increments and is reset to zero results in a triangle wave. A counter that alternates between the min and max values gives you a square wave. Make sure a complete cycle runs in about 400-500 Hz for the most audible tone on cheap speakers.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If I choose 16 bits as my audio data bit length, the max value becomes 65535 and min value becomes 0? 

I am not sure the C program is running under 50MHz or not.. If it is, i think my synthetic audio signal is: 

// for tri wave int tri_signal = 0; while (1){ for(int n = 0; n<12500; n++){ tri_signal = tri_signal + 5; } tri_signal = 0 } // for sine wave (not smooth) int sine_signal = 32767; while (1){ for(int n = 0; n<3125; n++){ sine_signal = sine_signal + 10; } for(int n = 0; n < 6250; n++){ sine_signal = sine_signal - 10; } for(int n = 0; n < 3125; n++){ sine_signal = sine_signal + 10; } }
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Check your data sheet. You must use a word length that matches the audio output chip. Most but not all are 16 bits. However, you cannot assume it is 0 to 64K. Min and max might be +/- 32K. Again check the data sheet.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I can now generate a simple sine wave signal by a lookup table and send it to the line out now. I can hear very clear sound from the earphone. Thus I think the problem is not in the output. How should I send the sine signal to the input?  

Here is the code to test the output. 

for(n = 0; n<256; n++){ alt_up_audio_write_fifo (audio_dev, &(sine), 16, ALT_UP_AUDIO_LEFT); }
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Verilog is *not* a procedural language. For loops don't do things one by one, they infer hardware for each instance of the loop - so that will not do what you want. 

You need to create a counter (always @ ... counter <= counter+ 1), and use that to read from your fifo. 

EDIT: 

Never mind, that was C code, I misread. Ignore the above.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I recommend using a triangle wave to test your input function. It is easier to verify that the received data is correct. You should use a function generator connected to the ADC input. Don't forget to get the impedance matched. Once you have a clean triangle wave going to your audio input you should be able to test your data input function.