Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12408 Discussions

Is there a difference between debug on hardware and run on hardware?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hello all, I have started a course on Embedded system design using the nios II and a de-2 board. We are provided with the following code: 

#include <sys/alt_irq.h> // for irq support function# include "system.h" // for SOPC defines /*============================== Integer Types ===============================*/ typedef signed char sint8; // signed 8 bit values typedef unsigned char uint8; // unsigned 8 bit values typedef signed short sint16; // signed 16 bit values typedef unsigned short uint16; // unsigned 16 bit values typedef signed long sint32; // signed 32 bit values typedef unsigned long uint32; // unsigned 32 bit values typedef float real32; // 32 bit real values //***************************************************************************** // Define symbolic constants //***************************************************************************** //***************************************************************************** // Define private data //***************************************************************************** int main(void) { // red_leds is a pointer to the R_LEDs uint32 * redLedsPtr = (uint32 *) RED_LEDS_BASE; // switches points to the switches volatile uint32* switchesPtr = (uint32*) SWITCHES_BASE; while(1) { // set the LEDR equal to SW *(redLedsPtr) = *(switchesPtr); } /* while */ return 0; } /* main */  

when run each switch turns on each corresponding led on the board. I then removed the volatile keyword and rebuilt the project, however it still runs perfectly on the board. I would have expected the compiler to basically optimize away the contents of the while loop. I have two questions, if no breakpoint is set in the code is there a difference between running it normally or in debug mode? Is there something I may be missing as far as getting the rebuilt program code loaded on to the board? I have been using quartus for the last year targeting the de-2 board for previous courses but this is my first time using the nios eclipse IDE. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

So, it turns out I had compiler optimizations turned off. Switched them on to level 2 and the program worked (failed actually) as expected. Are things like optimization settings specific to each project? Or is there a way to specify settings globally?