Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

NIOS Interval Timer Problem

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi folks, 

I am sure this will be a quick one for any of you seasoned pros out there: 

I have just added the interval timer to my qsys systm and rebuilt the BSP, but now when I run my program it jumps straight to the ISR for the timer as it is defaulting to being the system tick. I do not want this,I just need a timer that freely runs that I can query/stop/start and reset at my discretion. 

Is it possible to disable the default as a sys tick? 

I could define my own ISR that will override the default, but that means I have to allow at least one ISR branch before I can disable it. The timer is running at 10clk increments, with a 100Mhz clock input as I need quite a high resolution. 

Can anyone advise please? 

thank you. 

deBoogle
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In the BSP editor, you ought to be able to set hal.sys_clk_timer to "none". Or if you're having trouble doing that, take the easy way out and add another timer for your sys_clk_timer and tell your BSP to use that timer.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

In the BSP editor, you ought to be able to set hal.sys_clk_timer to "none". Or if you're having trouble doing that, take the easy way out and add another timer for your sys_clk_timer and tell your BSP to use that timer. 

--- Quote End ---  

Perfect. All sorted now thank you.