Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12418 Discussions

NIOS: MDIO: Platform Designer generates altera_eth_mdio.v that doesn't work

mriemleit
Novice

Hi Intel Community,

I have a strange error with MDIO interface on the NIOS II.
I'm using it to communicate with an external PHY.

I got an generated altera_eth_mdio.v file from a colleague where everything works fine.
My code can perfectly read and write any registers from the external PHY when I'm using his generated NIOS-HDL files.

When I generate new HDL files in the Platform Designer I get a different altera_eth_mdio.v file. All other files stay the same.
With this file I can't access any registers on the external PHY over the MDIO interface.

The .qsys file is the same in both designs.

Could you tell me why the Platform Designer generates a different altera_eth_mdio.v file?
Actually the configuration of the MDIO is very easy and I have absolutly no idea what is going wrong.

My workaround is to replace the altera_eth_mdio.v with the good one after generating HDL files.
But that's not a good solution

I appended my .qsys file and both generated altera_eth_mdio.v files.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Best regards,
Michael

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mriemleit
Novice

Ok, found it.

The TLK10232 we use in this project requires a longer MDIO preamble than the nios generates. So my colleague manually changed the file. And replaced it after generating new NIOS files. I didn't expect that...

We use Quartus Version18.1. Maybe in a newer Version this problem is fixed. If not it's maybe a good idea to make the preamble length configurable.

Have a nice day.

Best regards,

Michael

EricMunYew_C_Intel

There is a parameter for MDIO IP in Platform Designer as attached.