Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12610 Discussions

Nios 5.1, elf2flash ignores base address?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have just upgraded from Version 5 to Version 5.1 

The generated command line is this: 

elf2flash --input=LynxApp.elf --flash=IC2 --boot=c:/altera/kits/nios2_51/components/altera_nios2/boot_loader_cfi.srec --outfile=cfi_flash_0.flash --sim_optimize=0 --base=0x100000 --end=0x1FFFFF --reset=0x100000 

If I create a text file called "flash" with the following contents and do "source flash" from the "Nios command line".... 

elf2flash --input=LynxApp.elf --boot=c:/altera/kits/nios2_51/components/altera_nios2/boot_loader_cfi.srec --outfile=cfi_flash_0.flash --base=0x200000 --end=0x2FFFFF --reset=0x200000 

...the same output is generated. 

Thus S-records are produced such as  

S325000000003A7001007400C0043A48019804F8FF9C1EFD3F983A2000003AE02E00062000008B 

When they should be 

S325001000003A7001007400C0043A48019804F8FF9C1EFD3F983A2000003AE02E00062000007B 

Have I missed something, or is there something wrong with elf2flash? I note there are changes in elf2flash.jar
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi JasonDiplomat, 

> Have I missed something, or is there something wrong with elf2flash?  

You missed something -- you're specifying a boot copier -- so your elf sections 

get translated into boot records that follow the boot copier code. 

> S325000000003A700100 ... 

This is the boot copier code at offset 0 in your flash device

To get a better feel for what's going on, compare the outputs of the following: 

$ elf2flash --input=LynxApp.elf --flash=IC2  

--base=0x100000 --end=0x1FFFFF --reset=0x100000  

--output=boot.flash  

--boot=$SOPC_KIT_NIOS2/components/altera_nios2/boot_loader_cfi.srec  

$ elf2flash --input=LynxApp.elf --flash=IC2  

--base=0x100000 --end=0x1FFFFF --reset=0x100000  

--output=noboot.flash 

Regards, 

--Scott
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If I try the noboot example, I get an error "Boot copier file name required". 

The boot copier is required since I run the code in SRAM. 

What does bother me is the "IC2" reference, which I believe I had used as part of a board description in the previous Quartus version, but which is not visible now (there are no board descriptions showing in SOPC builder).
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

> If I try the noboot example, I get an error "Boot copier file name required". 

> The boot copier is required since I run the code in SRAM. 

** Sigh ** 

$ elf2flash --input=LynxApp.elf --base=0 --end=0x7fffffff --output=noboot.flash 

Regardless, I don't think elf2flash is broken ;-) 

--Scott
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

$ elf2flash --input=LynxApp.elf --base=0 --end=0x7fffffff --output=noboot.flash 

This ^^^ produces a SREC file which addresses the SRAM - that's not what I need! 

I now don't believe elf2flash is broken either, since I've looked closer at the differences between the two versions. Which implies that something's being set in the ELF, which I'm currently unable to detect differences to the existing released version built with quartus/nios version 5.  

And I've just added a board description, just specifying the flash memory, and now SOPC builder complains that "onchip memory *** cannot operate with ." 

I'm just going to have to modify the flash programmer code to add the offset. This has been an expensive day. 

Is there any source code available for elf2flash so I can see how it performs the boot code merge? 

Do I need an "install.ptf" file?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

> This ^^^ produces a SREC file which addresses the SRAM - that's not what I need! 

Of course not! But ... 

> Have I missed something, or is there something wrong with elf2flash? 

... your original question has been answered. 

Let&#39;s try another way. From my earlier post: <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div> 

--- Quote Start ---  

This is the boot copier code at offset 0 in your flash device.[/b] 

--- Quote End ---  

and, from the Nios II Flash Programmer User Guide, October 2005 (Emphasis added):<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div> 

--- Quote Start ---  

nios2-flash-programmer can use any S-record file as an input, provided 

that the addresses specified in the S-record file represent 

offsets from the beginning of flash memory .[/b] 

--- Quote End ---  

> I&#39;m just going to have to modify the flash programmer code to add the offset. 

You might want to grab another cup of coffee and mull it over a bit before 

doing this. 

Regards, 

--Scott
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ahhh - you&#39;ve answered what my question should really have been (i.e. has Altera decided to change SREC addresses from absolute to relative).  

I don&#39;t use nios2-flash-programmer, I use my own handwritten one. I just needed to add a single line of code to fix it, and I&#39;m now happy in the knowledge that Altera aren&#39;t going to release a "fix" in a few weeks that would break it.
0 Kudos