Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12368 Discussions

Nios II with integrated DCFIFO problem

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi guys, 

I'm fairly new to FPGAs and in particular Altera stuff so please excuse any naive comments I might make. I'm having a problem getting a FIFO to work with the Nios II processor so that I can interface to an imaging sensor. I've been trawling the web and the forums for an answer but alas to no avail... 

Firstly does anyone know of an example/development kit project/tutorial which implements an example of a FIFO interfacing to an off chip peripheral on one side and a Nios processor on the other? An example is always helpful. 

Right the procedure I have followed is: 

I've instantiated the SOPC FIFO as a DCFIFO with an avalon-MM interface on one side and an avalon-ST sink interface on the other. I don't have any status interfaces on the read or write side. The MM (read) side is connected to my CPU. 

I've then created a custom peripheral and used the templates to create an avalon-ST data source. This is then connected to the ST side of the FIFO. 

I've then generated the system and when I bring it into verilog I get a bunch of exported signals from the ST source which then allow me to write to the custom peripheral. 

Is this a logical way to go about implementing what I want to do? Or is there a problem with the custom peripheral in this format? 

I then run the following code to try and read the FIFO: 

#define DATA_BASE (alt_u32) 0x00005040 

# define WRREQ_BASE (alt_u32) 0x00005050 

# define FIFO_BASE (alt_u32) 0x00005068 

# include "sys/alt_stdio.h" 

# include "altera_avalon_fifo_regs.h" 

# include "altera_avalon_fifo_util.h" 

int main(void){ 

unsigned short n=0; 

n = altera_avalon_fifo_init(FIFO_BASE,0,0,0); 

alt_printf("%d\n",n); 

while(1){ 

n = altera_avalon_fifo_read_fifo(FIFO_BASE,0); 

alt_printf("%d\n",n); 

return 0; 

However when I write data to the FIFO I just get nothing coming out in the console.... 

I'm not really sure though that I'm using the initialise command correctly. If all this is correct then I guess I must have a problem with my data input. 

Thanks in advance for any help =). 

Richard
0 Kudos
0 Replies