Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12453 Discussions

Problem adding new device to Linux

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am using the ReFLEX Achilles Arria 10 Development kit. 

It is running Linux kernel 4.1.22-ltsi and I am trying to add i2c-1 to my system. Out of the box I am able to access I2C-0, but I want to use two I2C buses. After creating the hps.sopcinfo from my QSYS project, I generated the .dts and .dtb for my system. However, when I boot up my system, under /dev, I still only see i2c-0. Also, if I disable i2c-0 in the dts and update the dtb in my system, I still see i2c-0 and it is still working (I ran i2cdetect and it picked up the temperature sensor and eeprom on that i2c bus). During startup, I get this message: 

[ 0.213867] i2c_designware ffc02300.i2c: Unknown Synopsys component type: 0x00000000 

the address ffc02300 is the start of the i2c-1 registers.  

I feel that I am missing something very basic here. This is my first time trying to add a device to my system so I am not 100% sure if the steps I took were correct.  

I also update my u-boot.bin and when I read ffc02300 (i2c-1) in uboot using md, they are blank, but when I read ffc02200 (i2c-0) they are filled with expected values base on the arria 10 register map. 

Any tips or advise would be helpful. 

Thank you
0 Kudos
0 Replies