Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

SIGTRAP ?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

gdb stops with the following message: 

Signal Stop Print Pass to program Description 

SIGTRAP Yes Yes No Trace/breakpoint trap 

info signal SIGTRAP 

disassembly stops at: 

--> 0x00800098 <alt_irq_entry+120>: break 0 

what is the cause of this message ??? 

thanks
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have the same problem. Have you had any luck figuring out what causes it? 

-Paul
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Paul and Fischer, 

It&#39;s possible that you have a spurious interrupt.  

Knowing that the code is "breaking" at <alt_irq_entry+120> doesn&#39;t help me to further debug the issue, however. 

If you&#39;re not using 5.01 (5.0 SP1 for both Quartus II and Nios II), then I: 

1. Recommend that you do. 

2. Would not be able to help you with any other version(s). 

If you are using 5.01, then the default behavior is to fall into an "unknown" section, if the code can&#39;t determine what caused the exception: 

.section .exceptions.unknown        /*        *  If you get here then one of the following could have happened:        *        *  - Your program could have been compiled for a full-featured Nios II        *    core, but it is running on a smaller core, and instruction emulation        *    has been disabled by defining ALT_NO_INSTRUCTION_EMULATION.        *        *    You can work around the problem by re-enabling instruction emulation,        *    or you can figure out why your program is being compiled for a system        *    other than the one that it is running on.        *        *  - Your program has executed a trap instruction, but has not implemented        *    a handler for this instruction.        *        *  - Your program has executed an illegal instruction (one which is not        *    defined in the instruction set).        *        *  - Your hardware is broken and is generating spurious interrupts (a        *    peripheral which deasserts its interrupt output before its interrupt        *    handler has been executed will cause spurious interrupts).        *        */ # ifdef NIOS2_HAS_DEBUG_STUB        /*        *  Either tell the user now (if there is a debugger attached) or go into        *  the debug monitor which will loop until a debugger is attached.        */        break # else        /*        *  If there is no debug stub then a BREAK will probably cause a reboot.        *  An infinate loop will probably be more useful.        */ 0:        br   0b # endif 

If this is the spot in the code, that you&#39;re reaching, then some possible causes are listed in the above comments. You should also take a look at the current state of the registers and the stack traceback (if possible). 

Best Regards, 

- slacker
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

- your hardware is broken and is generating spurious interrupts (a 

peripheral which deasserts its interrupt output before its interrupt 

handler has been executed will cause spurious interrupts). 

That is what got me. I forgot to loop back the interrupt request bit to hold the irq state until the interrupt service routine could clear it. 

assign irq = (irq & ~irq_clear) | (irq_trigger);
0 Kudos