Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12453 Discussions

Steps to embed NIOS Code into .pof file

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am using a Cyclone IV E FPGA and using active serial to configure my device. I am using Quartus v 13.0 SP1, with NIOS II and QSYS. I can comunicate with the board and program it with Quartus, but when I try to incorporate a NIOS Processor, I am having issues. This is what I have done so far: 

1: Built my SOPC system with onchip memory. In here, I have checked the "enable non-default initialization file" option. After this, I generate my SOPC system. 

2: I Open the NIOS IDE and create a new "NIOS II Application and BSP from template". I select the correct SOPC file and follow the steps. 

3: I create my c program and build the project. 

4: I check to see if the .hex file has been updated, and verify that it has been updated according to the timestamp. 

Up until here, everything works fine. 

As far as I understand, the next step is to go back to my SOPC Builder (QSYS), and regenerate the system. When I do this, I get an error that says that QSYS failed to generate my onchip_memory module. 

I would appreciate any help in figuring out why this is happening. 

Thanks, 

Zahi
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am trying to do the same thing. Have you learned anything? 

At the moment, though, my .hex file isn't being updated. Any thoughts?