Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12409 Discussions

U-Boot and sopc-create-config-files

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am trying to U-Boot to run on the cyclone iv gx fpga development kit running on the board_update_portal example system. 

I followed the instructions from the Altera wiki DasUBoot page and used sopc-create-config-files to generate the U-Boot config file from the c4gx150_fpga_bup_sopc.sopcinfo file. 

I encountered many serious problems. 

1) The root node of the sopcinfo file is EnsembleReport not system 

2) The cpu module is altera_nios2_qsys not altera_nios2 

3) The value for baseAddress is in a sub-node not an attribute 

Is the sopc-create-config-files script still the recommended way to generate U-Boot configuration files? 

Is there another more up to date description of how to get U-Boot working with an *.sopcinfo file created by QSYS? 

Thanks for any help
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have resolved the problem with the sopc-create-config-files script. 

The board_update_portal example for the Cyclone IV GX FPGA Development Kit uses QSYS instead of SopcBuilder so the example directory has a file c4gx150_fpga_bup_sopc.qsys but no *.sopc file. 

I was trying to use the c4gx150_fpga_bup_sopc.sopcinfo file but this does not work correctly with the sopc-create-config-files script. 

Is there an easy way to create a *.sopc file from a *.qsys file? 

Is it possible to update the sopc-create-config-files script to also use *.qsys files?