Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

16 bit avalon tristate slave

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello 

I have a custom h/w for NiosII development using Cyclone III FPGA. I have 512k x 16 bit cypress SRAM. In SOPC builder I created a custom 16 bit Avalon tristate slave for SRAM interface. For some simple data transfer (in application code) it worked fine. But when I tried to put my program into my SRAM, things went wrong. It shows; 

Using cable "USB-Blaster [USB-0]", device 1, instance 0x00 

Processor is already paused 

Reading System ID at address 0x00412068: verified 

Initializing CPU cache (if present) 

OK 

Downloading 00300000 ( 0%) 

Downloading 00408020 (91%) 

Downloaded 4KB in 0.0s  

Verifying 00300000 ( 0%) 

Verify failed between address 0x300000 and 0x300D87 

Leaving target processor paused 

Is it possibe to download your code into a 16 bit avalon tristate slave???:eek:  

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There could be a couple of reasons here. 

And of course it is possible to mix different bit widths, the avalon switch fabric takes care about it when a master accesses a slave with a different bit width 

1. do you get any timing waring during quartus compilation ? 

2. have you checked your external signals against over and undershot ? undershots can lead to shifting the signal levels in a way that a component "thinks" it is active. 

3. how do you do you timing control, via wait states or did set up the timing for setup access and hold ? 

4. is you external memory attached as a memory or a register, i am asking about the alignment.
0 Kudos