Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12612 Discussions

Avalon OpenCores Ethernet MAC - resource usage

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Does anyone know the resource utilization of the OpenCores Avalon Ethernet MAC? I am interested in targeting a CycIII that will be pressed for resources and need to know how many LEs, total memory bits, and M9Ks. I'm not looking for the Analysis & Synthesis "resource utilization by entity" but rather the post fit resources. I know this is dependent on the depth of FIFOs, descriptor memory size, etc... etc... but is there a minimum/maximum or an example of somebody's configuration along with the resource list to give me an idea? 

I'm ultimately comparing resources to the Altera-provided TSE MAC. The TSE MAC resources are as follows for a "10/100 Small MAC" with 512 x 32-bit TX/RX FIFO depth and a descriptor memory of 2048 bytes. 

1. TSE MAC - 2107 Logic Cells, 10 M9Ks 

2. TX SGDMA - 1000 Logic Cells, 5 M9Ks 

3. RX SGDMA - 815 Logic Cells, 3 M9Ks 

4. Descriptor Mem (and arbitrator) - 240 Logic Cells + 2 M9Ks 

Thanks for any comparative information available...
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Project 1 EP2C70 : 

2621 LC & 4 M4K 

Project 2 EP2C35 : 

2564 LC & 4 M4K
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

MSchmitt, 

Thanks for the reply. Is there anything else required to couple to the CPU(i.e.: is everything included in the LC count below to attach as an Avalon slave and to interface as a master to ddr)? Are the DMAs and descriptor memory included all in there? If so it's quite a savings over the TSE core in its smallest implementation.
0 Kudos